new boat ?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john john

Reaction score
Can anyone give me any info on the 882, performance and ride or any problems I should look for. Any information would be helpful. thanks

Kind of a general question.......what specifically do you want to know about?

What engine are you getting?

How do you want it to ride?

What are your expectations from this boat?

I have an 03 882. I absolutely love my boat.

It has a Merc 150 XR6 with a 23 tempest. Turns about 5400-5500 rpms for low 60s on a good

flat day...around 60 any other time.

It rides great! A couple weeks ago I was on Grand Lake in north east oklahoma and hit a section of the river with 4 foot waves. I never got wet and it was very soft. THe day of the tourny my non-boater even commented on how well it rode for an 18 footer.

I was on Table Rock Last week and the biggest waves i was in were around 3 foot. Same story as Grand, great ride.

Its a great boat. It has plenty of storage and I carry a TON of fishing equipment. I have a rod organizer on one side that holds 11 rods, plus i can put a few to the side of it. Right now I have about 13 rods in one locker. The other rod box I use to hold a medium size tool box, paddle, butt seat w/ pedastle, and two medium size tackle boxes it also has my net which is about 4 feet long and i put my rain gear in there when i'm not wearing it. The middle box has one large box with 5 large plano boxes and a medium sized box with normal plano boxes. Behind those I have 3 spinnerbait boxes, two wraps, and a few miscellaneous things. I also put two pair of sospenders in there at the end of the day.

The livewell has two doors and is divided. It is plenty big to hold two limits of fish. The back storage boxes are removable. I keep them empty for my non-boater. When fishing a team event or with my dad I use them for extra rain suit and life jacket, etc.

I have a dual console. I wish it had rod-butt holders for the passenger but i can get by without those.

My 882 is 18 foot but it has the attitude of a 20 footer!

Here is a poor pic (taken with my phone) of my boat

rig.jpg

John I am the proud owner of an 03 NX882 with a 175 Optimax,175 is max hp allowed for this boat.This is my third boat,second Nitro and wife says last up grade.Had some problems in the beginning with getting on plane but with the help of a great dealer service department worked things out.Running a 27p Tempest plus with all plugs removed.AS BJ has said very dry ride,have been in some rough water on Lake George in NY and Winnie in NH and was surprised at how well the boat handled,I have beed aboard 20' Rangers that didn't handle as well.Never enough storage space for me but I guess thats a personal thing.Great mid range boat fpr the not too serious tourn fisherman. <"(((((<<

i love the ranger comment massbassman!!

yes the basic construction may be better..but for storage, ride, affordability, fishability, cant beat my Nitro.

Ranger does build a good boat, and yes i've thought that maybe my next boat might be a Ranger, but they are too expensive and everytime I look at the new Nitros and all the extra little goodies......I love my Nitro!

I have an 884 savage w/ 150 efi, a little different hull, but pretty similar. I love the boat, get 64 gps and handles the rough stuff as well as any boat under 20' i have ever been in. They are a very good boat for the money. If you are loaded, buy a ranger. If not go with the nitro.

i will agree with all above. i have mine rigged with a 115. it is a great hull, can't ask for morre out of an 18' rig.

for the money no one comes close.

GregD

Thanks guys for all the information. Sounds like a great boat, I can't wait!!!!

Back