New boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james cabagbag

Reaction score
I am so glad that I've come accross this website. It's nice to see so many people with much knowledge about all topics; especially in the boating department. I am seriously considering the 2005 superguide v16 tracker with the 25hp 4-stroke. The sales-person is recommending 40hp. He says I won't be happy with 25hp. The problem is that the price difference is pretty hefty. I don't fish big lakes much although I realize having 10 mph more may come in handy. Questions:

1) Can I get the boat to plane with 25 hp with 250 pounds on the boat?

2) If I decide sometime later to upgrade, is it as simple as just mounting a bigger motor(merc 25 to merc 40) or does the whole system have to be re-done?

3) If I paid cash for the boat will the dealer be willing to negotiate or does the catalog pricing plus other related fees stay fixed?

Thanks in advance, James.

The salesman is right, go with the 40 hp now. The 40 hp motor will not work as hard as the 25 hp. Which means burn less fuel and less strain on the motor so it will last longer. Good Luck

James,

That 25 4 stroke probably won't even plane that hull off, even the 40 will struggle.

If you are thinking you can come back and trade in that 25 on something else, think again, they won't do it.

No one has ever been dissapointed in putting a max rated engine on their boat, ever. Most people regret not doing it after they own their boat a very short time.

It's against tracker rules to deviate catalogue pricing on a current model boat.

The boat you are looking at is a great fishing rig... But, the suggestions about increasing the HP are very valid. If you are somewhat patient and look around... for the same $$ as you would pay for a new rig you might be surprised to find a really good used rig with a 40-50hp motor. Lots of guys start out with a 16ft 40hp and move up in a few years. Try looking at Boattrader.com You can input searches there for 16ft power boats in your state or even I believe by area code.

Here's just one example that I found real quick... The kind of boat that I would think would be a great first time boat...

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/6/77334836.htm
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/6/77334836.htm

Go with the upgrade. The salesman told us when we were shopping that we would not be happy with the 25hp and to move up. Glad we did. Although we just went up to the 50hp, we're glad we did.

Thanks for your replys. The dealer has a 2003 version never used with a 40hp on it. It would have all the standard warranties. I doubt that the boat has been covered and exposed to the elements for as long as it's been on their lot. It seems to look pretty clean, but what kinds of problems if any would I expect from a boat that hasn't been covered. Will the warranties be worth the risk or sude I go with 2005 model with comparable features at about $4,500.00 more?

James - I upgraded my PC175 to a 40 Merc not only for the speed and not working as hard BUT (and i don't know about the 4 stokes) but the 25 Merc in 2000 did NOT have power Tilt/trim, so getting up on plane and maximizing performance, fuel economy and ride could NOT be done w/out the Power T/T.

Trep

I been thinking about selling my 2003 Pro Deep V 17 with 90 merc. Maybe 30 hours total time. Some extras. Boat is in great shape. Last time I had it in the water was April 2004. It is now stored inside. I can probably save someone $6000.00 or more compared to the 2005 models. e-mail is [email protected]

I have the 25 4-stroke on my PT175 it it planes fine with 1 or 2 of us in the boat. max speed is approx 22mph. I am surrounded by 25hp limit lakes full of bass so it is the only real option. If you get the 25 4stroke you absolutely must get the power tilt/trim to get on plane better for different loading and also because the motor is big/heavy. I think 175lbs. If you do not have any 25hp limits in your area then I would definately upgrade to a bigger motor.

Back