new 896 owner questions?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don ellsworth

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 96 896 with a 175 EFI some items need some TLC but I have no manuals with the boat.Boat was not used very much.

Speedometer; does not work at all ,where is the pickup or do you know a quick fix?

Water pressure gauge ;needle is spun all the way around,peeing good Need a new gauge?

Tach; works but only accurate at times usually showing rpm very high

Seat pole; the rear seat pole seems to be stuck in hole can't get it out even when pushing button

Depth finder in dash not working spins but sounds like bearing is bad, Replace??

Puzzeling sound; At about 40 to 50 mph I hear a whistle comeing from rear of boat?? sounds like air moveing over a pop bottle

When I do get the tach working right what is the correct max RPM so I know if its proped right

Thank You in advance for any other advice,Don Ellsworth

I have a 96 896 savage with a 200Merc.

first question buy lawrance 332-c it has gps feature and you can use it for speedometer.

second you will need a new water guage sounds like the old one might have had water freeze in it.

third I would take it to a reliable marina and have them service the tach.

My seat pole is also frozen in the back I never take it out anyway so I live with it..lol But I have thought about lubercating the shaft and taking a pipewrench to it.

Fourth question refer to first answere

fith question have a buddy try to locate it or take it to a marina..

sixth there should be a a id tag on the base of the motor that tells you max rpm

Hope this helps and I am sure some of these guys may have better ideals..

Don't use a pipe wrench. Use a rubberized strap wrench so you don't cut teeth into the aluminum. Take a little emery paper after you get it out and run it around the lower shaft that goes into the hole to get all the junk off of it. Also take the emery paper and do the same thing to the inside of the pedestal mount hole. It should lock up on you anymore.

Good luck with the rest. Sounds like you need to replace your guages.

Back