New 640 owner with a Q

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel conley

Reaction score
Hi all! I am new and I just bought a 640 a week ago, I love it! Just curious, is it ok to put this in saltwater? I know it's small, and it has limitations as far as chop and weather, just wondering about how everything else will hold up mechanically and what not. Thanks guys, and glad I found this site.

Joel - You'll get a lot of good pros and cons of taking that boat into Salt water. One question up front - what year is the boat and does it have a galvanized trailer? If it is one of the newer Nitro's that have the Galvashield trailer (Painted trailer but galvanized frame) then the trailer would stand up to it, the question will be the electrical components and motor, and ensuring you wash/clean every part that get's salt on it after use. If its an older trailer that is not galvanized, or galvashield, i would not take it in salt/brackish water, as it can rust the trailer frame from the inside out.

Trep

It is a 2004 boat, and I think the salesman told me a 2003 trailer. I will look at the trailer tomorrow and see if I can see on it somewhere what it is. Thanks for the info Trep!

Hi Joel, Unfortunately I think you trailer is not Galva shielded. I emailed tracker and they informed me that trailers after July 2004 are Galva shielded, I was very lucky as mine is an August 2004.

But to be sure mate send tracker an email with your trailers VIN number.

Other that that the boat and motor will be fine just flush the engine after each use in salt and also hose off the boat too.

From what I can tell checking online they didn't start making the Gavalshield trailers for the 640 til 2005, I could be off a year, but it seems your's as a 2003 would be a standard painted trailer. You will hear from a few folks here who occationaly take their painted trailers to saltwater, drill holes in the bottom of the frame for drainage, and flush it well after use. But some still end up with rusted trailers as they are not designed for salt water use.

Also, do a search on this site for salt water, there should be a lot of suggestions.

Trep

If it is not straight galvanized I wouldn't do it. It will get the rot in no time, and you will regret it. If your trailer is trashed already go for it, but you will need to clean EVERYTHING every day. One idea I've heard of is to find a boatyard that will launch it for you. Just remember the cleaning process included EVERYTHING including carpet.

I wouldn't recomend a dunking. Find a sling and get it lifted in/out of the water. Immediately flush the entire unit, stem to stern, and when you think you got it all, do it again. ;)

Back