Need to change livewell pumps, looking for some insight

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
I had livewell pump problems (they are old) at the last tourney. Got them working, but they need replacing. I've read the recommendations on the cartridge pumps.

What I'm looking for is some general guidelines so that I know better what I'm getting into. Never changed out these type of items on a glass hulled boat before.

Any tips or suggestions to be made?

What I'm more concerned with more than anything, is effectively getting the new one's on, and making sure there are no leaks.

Older boat - 95 Stratos 278 DC

Tex

They arent hard to do. Some boats they are actually inline and you wont have to change the thru hull fitting. If the pump goes thru the hull just remove it, clean all the old sealant off the hull test fit the new one and replace. when you test fit it make sure you leave enough threads on the pipe to screw on the screen after the nut is on there. you will have to cut the pipe that is on the pump to make it fit right. Make sure you use sealant on the nuts that hold it as well as the threads themselves. Make sure you use a sealant that is apprived for below waterline use. 3m 4200 and 5200 are. The big difference between the two is 5200 is a stronger and harder to take apart when cured. I use 5200 because its easy to get(any walmart) and the seal it makes wont fail.

On the pumps the cartridge ones are the only way to go. Much easier to fix should you have to replace them again. The yellow mayfair ones are pretty good, i have had them in my last two boats with no issues( i upgraded my nitro). While you are at it upgarde to 750gph pumps, the extra flow will keep the fish healthier and allow for faster water changes and livewell filling.

Use Mayfair. That way, once you mount the housing, if the motor goes it's just a matter of replacing the cartridge. Plus they are a lot more reliable.

One suggestion from having replaced the Rule's in my Tracker with Mayfairs. Buy the screw on screens and make sure you cut (if they are thru hull fittings) the thru hull pipe long enough to screw the screens on. I didn't and had to jerry-rig some window screen material.

Trep

They make the replacables now for the Rules too...I have one and it works great.

TEE

Tex take a look in the bilge area as well to see what type of pumps you need. Like i said about not all livewell systems have the pump going thru the hull, you need to find out excatly what you have. for example on my nitro i have one that goes thru the hull and one that is attached to a valve that has a hose that runs to a thru hull fitting. The thru hull peice is all the same, just a threaded peice of pipe and two nuts, one on the outside and one on the inside to bind it tight. Some people dont use the inside nut some do, also some people use the screen as the outside nut. you may need a straight pipe or a 90 degree one depending on the configuration. here is a pict of the two different kinds.
77478.jpg

I'm pretty sure it is the 'A' configuration (based upon what I saw), but just need to verify it first. I'm probably going to change the bilge pump at the same time. If I have to be in there doing this, I want to get it all done at once.

Tex

Yep. Just checked out the rig. It's the straight through version. Going to pick up some new ones tomorrow, and take care of it sometime this weekend.

Anyone have any preference for sealant to use?

Tex

Thanks JR. Knew someone would have the proper solution.

Now I just gotta find where that dirt dobber has stopped up the rear livewell drain line.

Tex

Back