need help with some research

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Yeaton

Reaction score
Hey guys & gals,

A goal of mine this year is to learn some new tactics and baits for the upcoming season. Here is what I've done to help me along the way:

Over the past few weeks I have been reading thru the Advanced Bass Fishing book and Kevin VanDams 6 seasons of fishing in the last issue of Bassmaster. I've organized some notes and highlights and split them up into groups by season.

What I need help with is deciding what lures to start adding to my collection. I don't want to start off strong and buy everything under the sun :), just looking to add a few good pieces for each season. Primary lakes will be clear to stained water.

Here's how I broke it down:

Pre-Spawn:

Spawn:

Post-Spawn:

Summer:

Fall:

I'm looking for opinions on hard baits mostly, but feel free to add in some plastics as well. This is mostly new to me, primarly due to the fact I am a soft bait fisherman 99% of the time. Add as much info as you'd like, ie. size, color, shape, etc...

Thanks!!! Maybe everyone can learn something new from this..

Bruce..somethin' that really opened my eyes this year was adding crankbaits to my pre-spawn tactics. Always had them but, never really caught that many fish and over time just kinda' went to the wayside. Found out that I was just fishin' the wrong areas and colors. Experimentation will be your best friend. Red is a good spring color anywhere ya' go..

TEE

Bruce, For the Pre spawn, spawn, post spawn, get you some rouges, any diving jerk bait that suites your fancy, play with some of the suspend stripes and dots to vary the depth control. at the spawn you work one in the bedding area casting past the target and work up to it and just shake it in the area, you have to be careful not to spook em. an endless subject!!! KB

Bruce,

Hate to burst your bubble but if we all knew that we'd be like KVD and write a book. Ya got 3 basic baits and the variations on presentation/rigging are endless.....Hard Baits (Sticks/Cranks/topwater), Blade Baits (In-line spinners, spinnerbaits/buzzbaits) and plastics. That's why my tackle box floats and has NITRO 929 on the side. LOL!!

TOXIC

LOL TOX!

Some of us aren't as well off as others though and can't have a floating tackle box...

I guess I should specify some info.

Pre-Spawn:

Crackbaits - size, type, color?

Spinnerbaits - blade style?

Spawn:

etc...

is that a better picture of what I'm looking for?

Ok for Cranks "I" would use a Bandit 200 or 300...i really perfer the 300 becuase I can slow my retreive to match my depth, but sometimes they want it digging hard into the bottom. But its really great for those fish who are not in 4ft of water yet. I usually burn it in about 8 foot while it digs the bottom leaving a nice dirt trail. Same technique for my 200 as well. As far as color I love the rootbeer, that is about the only one I throw.

Find out what color craws they're feedin' on in your home lake..usually greens, reds and browns is a good start...I found word of mouth is good sometimes.

TEE

Bruce I dont know what area of the country your fishing but you said clear to stained water. I fish north central and east Texas . In the spawn and post spawn I have a lot of luck with a Cotten cordel Redfin in 5" smoky joe or chrome depending on cloud cover. Straight or jointed work equally well. Cast just beyond your target with an underhand roll so the bait doesn't make a lot of splash. Work it with the tip of yor rod pointed toward the water and about 30 to 45 degrees of the bait . Use very small flicks of the rod and if you get it right the bait can be worked in the same two foot area for several minuets to really piss off the bedders. If the area has been hit hard go with to a 3-1/2" or 4" size . You might want to change the hooks to a bronze . Another tactic for the same time period is a white 3/8 oz buzz bait . Throw it onto the bank and buzz it medium for five or six feet the throw again . I like Lunker Lure buzz baits. As for a deeper crank bait I like the Arbogast Mudbug in red or chartruce . It rons about 4 to 5 ft. on 12 to 14lb mono . It's good for diging the bottom and for clipping the top of grass in deeper water. Just chunck it out point your rod straight at it , it will ware you out if you use it all day with you rod at an angle . Use a med. retrive if it get tangled it grass or weeds giv it a good hard yank and hold your breath. The Mudbug works well for pre spawn thru post spawn if you vary your retrive . I hope this is information you can put to use in the near futher . Good Fishing and stay safe

Jerry Anderson

This last April at the rally, the water was up a couple of feet at Kentucky lake and in a clear-to-stained condition. There were a lot of fish back in the submerged weeds and logs, so I tried a Baby 1- in what I guess must be called a baby bass color. I used light spinning tackle. Had excellent luck!

1/8 and 1/4 oz. white spinners work good at K&B in the bushes...don't ever forget your dark power-worms down there either...works well.

TEE

Back