Need help from the experts

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Conrad

Reaction score
I just aquired a 1988 Nitro boat with a 150 hp Suzuki motor at the right price (free). Its my first boat and as you can guess needs some work. It hasnt run in 3 years. I need some help from the experts. What steps should I take to make sure I dont get stuck up a creek without a paddle? I do not even know if anything works yet.

well the best way not to get stuck up the creek without a paddle is to buy a paddle. other than that change fluids change impeller and water pump possibly plugs if fould or have the local outboard dude check it out

I wouldn't try to do it myself, unless I had a ton of time on my hands. Well... maybe I would - depending on how bad it was and how much time I wanted to expend on it.

You're going to need to completely empty and/or replace the gas tank - you don't want three year old crud cycling to your engine. If it were me - I'd remove it completely and have it cleaned and checked for cracks before you put gas in it.

Hoses and seals will more than likely all need to be replaced. Major tuneup on the engine. Check all wiring. I've seen boats that sat get a animal in them that chewed up stuff. Trolling motor / sonar - last. Start with the important stuff - running lights, bilge pump, horn - the stuff you will need if you get out there and something goes wrong. Then look into the electronics / trolling motor if they are on there. I'm 100% sure you are going to need new batteries if it has sat for 3 years. If there is any juice left in the ones on there now, they won't last long - I'm sure of that.

I like truggin's suggestion of buying a paddle, just in case your stuck up a creek. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Remove any old gas and put new stuff in with Sta-bil. Replace your impeller like noted above. Change the plugs and make sure your oil looks good. Test run it in the driveway on a set of muffs. Also as stated above, new batteries are a good idea. Regrease the bearings in the trailer hubs. You may also need to replace the fuel filter on the outboard. Spray some power tune into each cylinder also, once you get it running. Then add a bottle of ring free to the gas. These should help to clean out the "funk" free up rings and so on.

I would let a professional handle the engine. The first time it is started can (and prob will) do the most damage to the engine.

The boat stuff you can check....

Thanks to all.

I was able to get the lights, trim, and pump working. I pulled the plugs, drained the gas and cleaned the fuel filter. The previous owner did add a stabilizer to the gas. Would you suggest that I rebuild or clean the carborators?

What is involved in a major tune up?

How much would you expect to pay for a major tune up?

Would you drain the lower unit?

Mini I agree with your idea of taking it to a professional, however the trailer is not licenced and the previous owner lost the trailer title. I understand that that may take some time to straighten out.

Call the marina. They should be able to get you a temp plate or registration to get it to the shop.

Let the mechanic deal with the carbs (unless you are one yourself). You want a leakdown test on all cylinders and a pressure test and leakdown done on the lower unit. No need to change the fluid until thats been done (it will come with fresh oil when done).

Biggest problem with a motor that has been sitting too long is rust forming on the cylider walls. Then hoses (and other rubber parts) dry rotting. Bad gas, crap in the tank, etc.

Back