Need help from the experts

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Stanek

Reaction score
Hello

just got my evinrude 48hp outboard completely rebuilt (powerhead). Am now in my break in stage, which my mechanic told me was first 3 hours idle speed only with double oil (25:1). after 3 hours I can go up to 2/3 throttle, then only full throttle once 3 tanks of double oil are used (12 gal tank). I have been using evinrude xd30 oil but it is pretty pricery around here about $25 per gal. My question is this - is the Walmat SuperTech oils OK to use?? Are they high quality and provide low ash. One guy says they are all the same and others say they are not. The walmart stuff is literally half the price. Should I switch?? Also, should I be running a cleaner like seafoam or carbonguard?? Is the Pennzoil stuff at walmart (little yellow bottle about $2) the same thing?? man I am dumb, please help! thanks

Getting your motor rebuilt sounds like it stung a bit, right?

Why would you turn around and ask about cheap oil? I see hundreds of motors come through here, and the wally oil is obvious in the carbon deposits, goo on bearings, and just worn out motors. Reach down and get the good stuff.

At least once a year decarboning is absolutely a good idea, and running ring free all the time is even better.

Your factory evinrude oil is good, as is yamalube (my favorite) mercury, 100% synthetic pennzoil (after break in) all will deliver the goods.

Seafoam, ringfree, all work well, just use something, that little motor will carbon up quick, which is the major cause of failure.

Hey Patt - Is the same true for the newer small motors? My 40 Merc is 5.5 years old, haven't run anything but oil through it (use it year round), other then yearly maintenance at BPS for a tune up, impeller, lowerunit oil...

Should I be putting ringfree or anything in??

And if I run the snot outta my 90 and use Quickleen about twice a year...will that suffice?

Usually idle or WOT:D

Fuel today is GARBAGE

Your #1 enemy of your two stroke, no matter the size is carbon buildup. Why? Because if the carbon begins to build up, it will act like a glow plug, and if it gets hot enough, will pre ignite your fuel charge which will then cause all matters of problems.

Pat - So, the answer is YES, for any of our 2 stroke carb'd motors run something besides oil and gas? Any suggestions and frequency??

Premium is not good for any but the high performance motors. Why?

TCWIII oil has a lot of detergent, premium fuel has a lot of detergent, when you mix the two it over does the detergent properties, and you run the risk of actually wicking oil away from the bearings you're trying to protect.

Patt - newer Merc 2 strokes like my 40, seafoam/ring free how often??

I have been running Wally World (TC III) oil for the five years that I have had the boat.

No smoke,never fouled a plug (same plugs as when I bought it),and starts right up every morning (I don't even have a high idle lever).

I have no complaints with it what-so-ever.

I did buy Pennsoil (yellow jug) once,and threw 3/4 of the jug in the garbage.Smoked so bad I thought the EPA was going to haul me off of the lake for air pollution.

Steve

I was afraid this would happen. What about the Johnson premium outboard oil?

I'm not dogging Steve.... But i sure would listen to what Pat has to say on this one... I don't always agree with him every time.. but he's on the money on this one!!

Thats what makes the world go around!!!

KB

Pat knows what he's talkin' about and wouldn't steer ya' wrong. He's a great asset to this site:)

Here's the scoop..

I get to look at way more motors in all manners of conditions way more than most of you will ever get a chance to.

Cheap oil usually goes with lack of proper maintenece and care. Which usually means that motor will live a shorter life.

When you pull down a motor that's been running wally oil or some other cheap junk, you'll see mounds of goo around the bearings, LOTS of carbon buildup and rings worn more than normal.

But you go ahead and run that stuff, I'll be here ready to re-power when you scatter it.

Trep, dude, if you change the impeller ONE time, you'll kick yourself repeatedly for ever paying someone to do it. On your motor (well, my 95 40 horse merc anyway), it's so freaking simple, even *I* can do it. As for lower unit oil, that's another "come on man". Don't get me wrong, I was a good little boy and had the dealership do it on my previous motors. Once I saw it get done I thought "and I'm paying you to do this... why?". On the 40, the lower unit doesn't weigh too much (though putting that SOB back on can be a less than enjoyable task.

Back