need Dog help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom,

Does she have some sort of shelter there? Maybe a doghouse that she can go into and hide like a cave?

Rich D

Tom,

How about an electric dog fence. I was just talking to my buddy and he paid $200 for one.

Hey, is the Delaware considered a tidal river? Near Frenchtown.

Chris

a electric dog fence would be a last step. From what I understand the dog has to be trained for one to work. As far as the deleware it is tidal up to Trenton ,huge tidal drop almost 6 feet in some spots

a 2 or 5 mile cattle fence put 6 inches high and six inches from the fence works in normal situations for escaping dogs. In your situation, the dog is being terrified by the fireworks and sound like she would not hesitate to get shocked trying to get out. (it would probably only scare her more) Your best choice would be to try to get her used to fireworks, gunshots, etc., so they wouldn't scare her. That shouldn't be to hard, depending on her age. If that fails, a nice barrier of chicken wire or other metal fencing will probably have to do.

Tom

I train birddogs, it's the love of my life. What you describe is one of the toughest things there is to cure a dog of. I've seen dogs tear their pads apart and destroy teeth chewing chicken wire trying to get loose in a situation like yours. Once they determine they can't find another way, a determined dog will start on the chicken wire, it all depends on what level of panic they achieve.

Velcro is right on with the electric fence. A paniced dog will run a electric fence in nothing flat. I've seen this so many times my belief in those fences is nil. The additionl stress of the shocking may put them into overdrive. Breaking a dog to gun or, fireworks in your case, is usually done when the dog is very young. Once the fear is established in an older dog the cure is very very time consuming and is seldom sucessful, but if you want to try that let me know.

I have two suggestions. One is to keep her inside or in the basement in a dog crate or create a safe place inside somewhere. The second is build a dog run on a concrete pad with a welded wire or cattle wire fence w/ top. My dogs have pulled the chain link kennel panels apart on my kennel just for recreation therefore use the heavy stuff. The top keeps her in. My dogs can climb like monkies. The concrete keeps them from tunneling out. Forget gravel or dirt.

Another alternative is getting some tranquilizers from the vet. This is only a short term cure as you can drug pup everyday.

Even if you do find a way to contain the dog the source of her fear may damage her psycologically if it continues. By all means work that approach too.

Fatrap

I'm glad to know others have the same problem. After picking my Terrier/Mastiff mix up at the pound for the second time in two weeks, the pencil neck behind the counter said I was irresponsible. I just about took his head off. I have one dog that stays in the back yard when the gate's open, but one that will dig her way out in a heartbeat. If you saw all of the stuff on the inside of the fence that I've used to block holes, etc, you'd know I sometimes have to use things stronger than duct tape :)

Tom, do what Velcro says and noise train her. I've never seen a dog that can't be trained to tolerate noise. Get someone to help you and find an old snare drum, tin pot, tin wash basin or anything that will make noise when your helper beats on it. Put you dog on a leash and TIGHT collar.

Have your helper start beating on the whatever while you lead your dog around it. Everytime you make a complete circle, give her a treat and highly praise her. Then start closing the circle in and repeat until you can get right next to the noise maker. When I do this in training the dog invariably ends up taking a treat from the top of the snare drum I use. Of course, don't beat on it when he is doing this.

After all of this, stay alert for the firecrackers or thunderstorms with plenty of treats and praise on hand.

There are four reasons a dog won't do something for you: Fear, Ignorance, Choice and distraction. This is a fear case so she needs plenty of consoling and praising that "it's alright"., etc.

Bill

Back