My Secret is out

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
You know I couldn't make something like this up.......

Fish fart 'to communicate'

November 11, 2003

IN polite society, flatulence is considered a social faux pas. But a study has revealed that in the world of fish, farting is an important social tool.

Canadian and UK researchers have discovered that herring create underwater fart noises, suggesting they communicate by breaking wind.

The study's findings, published in the UK science journal Biology Letters, revealed Atlantic and Pacific herring create high-frequency sounds by releasing air from their anus.

"We know (herring) have excellent hearing but little about what they actually use it for," research team leader Ben Wilson, at the Bamfield Marine Science Centre, Canada, told National Geographic online.

"It turns out that herring make unusual farting sounds at night."

It is now believed herring hear the bubbles as they are expelled, helping the fish form protective shoals at night.

Researchers caught the herring in their natural habitat and transferred them to large laboratory tanks where their behaviour was monitored using hydrophones and infrared video cameras.

The fish were found to produce high-frequency sound bursts and the noise was always accompanied by a fine stream of bubbles.

The study found the noise was often triggered by darkness and high fish densities, indicating to researchers that herring used their farts to speak to one another.

Now I wonder if Pierre was part of this study team???

Gives the movie "The Amazing Mr. Limpid" a whole new angle.

I'm gonna start making my own fish calling device!!

TOXIC

Mr. Limpid was on last night! And for some reason it does not surprise me that you found this! Any word yet? KB

OK, Mike Snow! Time for your to start a new thread: TOXIC is a GOOD Farter!

(Has anyone tried to say "fart" in the chat room yet?)

Money well spent? Next we'll see an infomercial with the farting walking worm.....LOL....

Or the fartn'crank! Farts in time with the motion of the lure! Get the "skidmark" color...works best with the bean scent!

fishf1.jpg

I used to tell my son that it was my fish call, it also was my rabbit call, deer call....Etc. I guess I didn't know how close I was.

Btw tox, I sent you an E-mail.

Gene

No problem Gene, I'll read it tonight.

KB......You're flirtin with disaster there ol' buddy!!LOL

Don't they make that fizz tablet that you can put in a tube?

TOXIC

I can't believe I hang out with you guys.

ROFLMAO I've seen it all now!!

Harpo

Back