My boat setup sucks... Nitro NX898 - need input

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Nichols

Reaction score
2001 Nitro 898 with 2016 Pro XS...bought at Insurance auction...mid section and lower gone..added a midsection and TM2 lower unit with a 25p Tempest Plus. Boat porpoises very bad once on plane and when coming off plane. starter battery and 2 trolling motor battery in rear with 10 gallons of fuel in the tank, Livewell empty I measured prop to pad ..2 inches , plugs in the prop with the large holes. Will lowering the motor help?...maybe start out at 3.5 inches and work up or do I need to drop to a 23p or 24p prop or go with a 4 blade. This my first BB, I was thinking about paying a shop to take it out and see if we can get it right.

Taking to a shop is what I would do. I have a 2006 898 and does porpoise every once in a while. Nothing major though. Good luck.

sounds like the motor is to high on the transom. Do you have a jack plate? if not I would put the motor all the way down and start there. what prop are your running a Tempest plus ?

Two Inches on the motor height is the higher end of the motor height. expressly if there is no jack plate involved.
If you have a Jack plate try lowering the motor 1/2 inch at a time, until you get it close the move the plate 1/4 inch to fine tune.
If no Jack plate the take it to 3 to 3 1/2 inch.

Latest posts

Back