muffs or not??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james casteel

Reaction score
hey guys I was just wondering can I run my big motor (06 90 opti) off of the flush kit thats installed on the motor or will I still need muffs??

The flush kit is for backflushing not running the motor. If you want to run it you need the muffs.

What is the installed flush kit? Ihave a 2005 90 OPTI and dont remember anything about it:wacko:

Thanks

Bill

the threaded plug on the back of the motor just below the cowling

it's for flushing fresh water through the cooling system

On the back of the engine - at least on my 225 Optimax, you can unscrew the water discharge fitting, and there is a white piece that screws into that. Then another white piece screws into your hose fitting, and the two pieces quick-snap together. It's only for flushing the engine - not running it. Muffs are required for that. Not sure if a 90 has it.

All the best,

Glenn

FYI, my Merc owners manual says that you can idle your motor with the flush fitting. Mine is a direct connect from the hose, no extra fittings. I've done it a few times when I had the upper oil tank losing pressure.

TOXIC

thanks alot ....after posting I thought about it and wondered about the water pump running dry it might get damaged!!

My dealer told me it wasn't designed for running the engine on, and that I'd mess up my impeller doing it.... so I don't. Maybe Merc changed it over the years. Mines a 05 Optimax.

All the best,

Glenn

Back