Motorguide to Minnkota

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Nelson

Reaction score
Hi all, i currently have the stock motorguide tour series on my Nitro 640lx. I am going to upgrade to a minn kota maxxum. Is it likly i will have to drill new holes in my boats deck to do this upgrade.. ??????????

Minnkota put the Motorguide pattern on the mopunt as well as thiers so 4 holes should line right up. Since the Minnkota has a heavier mount it is recommended to use 6 bolts to bolt it down so you will have to drill 2 new holes.

Make sure you drill a small pilot hole first and then use tape prior to drilling to prevent chippng etc and go slow through the fiberglass.

Randy!

Ausnitro

You're really beefing the old girl up. What's next a M60 machine gun mount for the salties?

fatrap:D

I recently upgraded from a motorguide to a minn kota. The holes do line up but I had to take a piece of the side of the mount off for the holes to line up, and then reinstall the piece.

I ran the Minn Kota for a year and a half on my previous boat and have the Motorguide on the new boat, both 24V. I like the Motorguide better. The steering is better on the Motorguide.

Thanks guys, you have an infinite amount of knowledge. So far. llol. thanks again.

Reason for upgrade is mainly the standard mount that comes with the tour is the 07 bow mount and it is a rattly clunky piece of ****.

Anyone else find this?

The Motor Guide 07 mount on my 640's 52lb got very noisy within a year. I swaped it out for a Gator Mount and all has been well now for 4 years.

Reason for upgrade is mainly the standard mount that comes with the tour is the 07 bow mount and it is a rattly clunky piece of ****.

LOL. I never had any issues with mounts when i had a motorguide since i always had gator mounts. They didnt open or close well but werent too clunky. The rest of the motor was another story and was a total pos.

Personally after owning a minnkota the last 10 years you could not give me another motorfried er i mean guide. every one i have ever had has been problematic, while every minkota has been great. Im not sure what models JimmyE was comparing on the steering but ive spent plenty of time on a tour edition motorguide and i dont think it has anything steering wise over my Maxxum pro, both have pull-pull cables and steer great. The rack and pinion motorguides steer awful by comparison in my opinion and also have a tendency to snap cables at the worst possible time.

Just my two cents worth.

I have had three Motorguides and all were terrible. Two broke constantly (soemthing different each time) and one over heated and melted my tarp. My fault I didn't unplug it during charging. Still could have fried the boat!

I also fished with a local guy that is an authorized repair guy for both. He says he fishes with MinnKota and pays the bill with the Motorguides!

Randy!

In defense of Motorguide, I've had three - all have been trouble free and great. The 43lb model that came on my Tracker PT175 that was still going strong after 5+ years when I sold the whole boat; the stock 52lb model that came with my new-to-me 2003 G3 was still working when I sold it earlier this year after upgrading; and the current 71lb thrust 24V MG that I now have on the G3 (purchased used) is running strong. I also have a Minn Kota 65lb thrust that's on the family deck boat. Its fine too, but like JimmyE, I find the steering pedal on the MK more difficult to operate and use than the foot pedal on the MG's. To each his/her own.

I guess I've been "lucky" with the number of Motorguides I've had. ;) I've yet to have a problem I didn't create. I've bent shafts, jumped up and down on them, then went back to fishing.

One MK example sticks in my mind. I fished a Bassmaster T on the Potomac a few years ago and saw a pile of MK's at the support trailer with either a badly sealed foot breach or the shaft splintered from impact in the cold. (I should note that it was outrageously cold that week and the built-in sonar was fresh out on the market for MK.) That made the MG SS shaft more popular in my mind. I'll bet you can find similar stories with MG problems as the subject. It's the Ford v. Chevy of the fishing world. :D

I don't think it's a question of which is better unless you compare apples to apples. My experiences have been with the more durable lines offered in MG. I can't tell you how many fellas I've seen/heard just rave about their new top of the line, heavy duty MK/MG and when asked what they had before it was along the line of a 42lb. 12V, on a 20 piece, rickety 360 mount. :blink: It's like a fella driving around a contractor prepped S-10 and then gets keys to a new F250 King Ranch. To not like it would be silly, especially when you think how much it costs?? :eek:

Your personal preference should really dictate your decision. Consider that you may be on that pedal for hours and spinning that head, so you'll want to go with what feels best in the long run. See if you can try a couple different ones at a club meet, rep. boat, or check with friends, if possible. They are both great companies and when you compare their like products, the similarities will be evident. Past style and looks, decide which one is most comfortable to your type of fishing.

Myself, I like the solid feel and durability of the metal pedal and push/push cable steer of the MG Tour series. Some fellas like that Mongo Fisher-Price pedal with the button on the wrong side. To each their own....BWAAAAAAHHH!!! :p:lol:

The Minn Kota was an Edge 70 and the Motorguide is the 70# that comes on the Z7. The MK button was on the wrong side and the biggest problem was when running it in high (5) the steering cables were loose enough that it would just about throw me off the deck jerking to one side or the other. The Motorguide moves the Z7 just as fast but I no longer have that problem and the button is now on the correct side for me.

Steering cables on MK motors are easily adjustable. There is an adjustment in front of the foot pedal.

I've always been a huge fan of MK motors. Every boat I've purchased came factory rigged with a MG. Every one of them eventually were changed out for a MK Maxxum motor. Now I'm running their newest - the Fortrex. Awesome motor so far. I didn't think they could improve on the Maxxum, but the Fortrex did.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks Glenn. Always good to hear of positive reports on newer products.

I got my Maxxum 'rebuilt' from a purly bracket/plastic perspective this spring. Works great, once again.

Tex

I've upgraded to the Fortrex and since I'm a little long in the tooth the lift assist has

been really great. I'd recommend it to anyone.

tornado,

That new design for the bounce buster works pretty good too, doesn't it? :)

All the best,

Glenn

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back