Motor Warranty

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger 519

Reaction score
Looking at a new boat and the dealer is trying to sell me a $1300 motor warranty that extends the manufactures warranty by 3 or 4 years. Should I consider this?

Two thoughts.....

What you are buying is "peace of mind". It's kind of like buying a "term" life insurance policy - it's not likely that you're going to die in the next ten years, but it would sure be nice to leave your family a few buxs if you do.....

Second, if I were to purchase an additional warranty, it would ONLY be one offered by the Original Equipment manufacturer. If you purchase one offered by some other entity, you could have difficulty finding someone to honor the warranty when you need it.

me!

I'm in agreement. If the extended warranty is with Mercury, then it may be worth it. What is it that you are buying, that will make a big difference to many.

Tex

me! and Tex are on the right track, remember that extended warranties are VERY negotiatble too! So $1,300 is NOT thier cost, just their first offer - negotiate!

Here's another question about motor warranties. I'm the third owner and the original warranty only transfers to second owner. The motor warranty expires with the second owner on May 2004. I'm told that I cannot buy an extended warranty since I am not the owner holding the warranty. Is there an extended warranty available out there that can be purchased by third owners? After the fact, I wondered if a second owner could buy an extended warranty and then transfer to next owner? Wish I'd have thought of that before I bought the boat. This could also go under the heading, "what I would do different next time". Thanks all, great site and great information from all.

What size motor are you considering?? Some of them already come with 5 years parts and labor!! (The Opti's!!) Are you looking at a XR6, EFI or Opti??

Mac

I just bought this 1999 Nitro with Merc 200 EFI in March. The original owner got the 5 year warranty and transferred to second owner whom I bought the boat from. Doesn't transfer to me, the third owner, so I guess I'm asking am I out of pocket from this point on for repairs or is there an extended warranty available for purchase under these circinstances?

Check with Merc, I would say yes but it might be a little more expensive..

Greg, would I buy the extended....yep, if I planned on owning the rig past the manufactures period. Never used to think that (as a matter of fact had never ever purchased an extended warranty on anything) way but my neighbor who is the manager of a Circut City and sold me a ton of electronics when we remodeled our house, convinced me to get one on a 57" widescreen HD TV. We went away for a week and when we got back found out that my wife turned the digital cable off (so the TV's screen was black) but did not turn the TV off. Burned out all of the "guns". Normally a $2,500 repair.....I was lucky. I would get one on the "heart" of your boat (IF you plan on keeping it OR if it is transferrable to a buyer).

TOXIC

Merc does not offer extended warranty on used engines. Their plan must be purchased within the first 12 months of original registration. I went ahead and registered my motor with them in my name. They offered several names of independent companies but no luck with them yet. I'll keep researching.

EFI's are very reliable motors....if it's been taken care of and maintained well....then you're pretty much assured of trouble free ownership. Anything can happen,...but the odds are in your favor. If you can find a place that will offer the warranty and you're happy with the price and the coverage,..then buy it,....but if you don't have any luck, I wouldn't worry too much about it....EFI's have proven themselves over the years to be fast, reliable, trouble free and a good buy!! Just be sure to maintain them and follow the owner's manual recommendations!! Good luck !! :eek:)

Mac

I'm feeling pretty good about extended warranties today. I usually never buy them and if I do THAT guaratees the thing will last forever. I did buy one on my Jeep GC when I bought it 2 years ago. Until Saturday I put on 77,000 miles with out a glitch. Cooling fan went out while in line at Taco Bell and the engine overheats. Got her shut down before the engine was damaged. I was thinking 50 bucks for a relay or maybe $150 if it needed a new fan. I about fainted when the bill comes in @ $516. Can you believe it for an electric cooling fan. Extended warranty covers it with a $50 deductable.

Harpo

I got a 7yr. warranty on the Targa / motor /etc. I bought this year--- Easier to pay by the month then a big repair bill. Hopefully I will not have to use it. I'm new to boating and need that "safty net".

Good Luck -- HaleDamage

Latest posts

Back