Motor Upgrade

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey Carrico2

Reaction score
Let me start this out by saying I am happy with the 115 I have on my 882 other than it is a tough starter. I found one of those deals you have to at least consider on a 150 EFI.

Question to those that work in the industry...what is a fair trade in value for a 2002 115 with maybe 60hrs use and a couple scratches on the hood. Everything else is fine, no lower unit damage or even a nick in the prop.

Also, what other costs are involved when switching motors? Riggin, new prop...anything else?

-Corey

Corey-

You can go to some of the on-line used car sites and get a value for your motor...

try bluebook.com or nada.com

az

Thanks Andy, I just used Nada...gave me 3900-4500 as high and low retail. If I can get those numbers I just might jump at it.

As we used to say back when I was in the car business...."The book ain't got no money". Try calling around and asking what a dealer would actually pay you for it today. If that's not enough try running a classified ad.

Harpo

Corey-

You been back in 'the old neighborhood' lately?

Salmon are runnin'!

az

So far I have been offered 3200 on trade...I'm still looking though. I thought 3200 was not too bad but did not want to say yes at the first offer.

Andy, I had been bass fishing at Diamond about 2 weeks ago. Almost 40 bass in two days...not enough keepers though.

Wonder how long till the Salmon hit South Bend...I might try for them there near my parents house.

-Corey

Are you thinking of switching to a new or used motor?

New....150EFI for 6K plus rigging and new prop. Last years motor. Seemed like a good price from what I have seen.

I am happy with my 115 though (Other than starting) so I am sitting on the fence a bit on this decision.

Pat, what is the "going rate" for a new 150 EFI?

Clark, I have tried all the usual practices to get it to start better...it is just a cold blooded beast is my conclusion. Some days it is the first shot and others I worry that my battery will go on me. Really there is no good explination for it....maybe it just does not like me? Lol... But you are right it is better when level.

-Corey

Corey, I just wanted to comment on the hard starting of the 115. I am pretty sure that the newer 115 is the same as my 94, and wanted to point out that these motors do not have a "choke", but use an enrichener instead. When the key is depressed, a stream of fuel is sprayed into the engine to help starting a cold motor. When my 115 is cold, it takes about 3 or 4, 6 second bursts to get it to fire readily. Once it is warmed up, a simple turn of the key sets it off. On the other end of the spectrum is the ease of flooding a warm engine by accidentally depressing the key when trying to start a warm engine. My 115 is very sensitive to this, and floods pretty easily.

You may already be starting the motor this way, if not give it a try.

Don...Appreciate the suggestions. I do pretty much the same. When cold I sometimes hold it in for 8-10 seconds then try. When warm I will give it a crank or two with no enricher to see if it will fire. But it is random...some times the first crank with no enricher and it is to the races, other times not. When I have not run it for a few days or it is cold outside it will often start for 2-4 seconds then die...if that happens I know I am in for a battle. If I don't get it running on that first catch it is a bear.

With a friends 150XR6 I have been in lately I can get it started first time every time....I would have figured it to be the same as mine.

-Corey

Back