motor to raise/trim optimax

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gene owen

Reaction score
First of all its been so hot in alabama that the fish are cooked when you reel em in!

Got home yesterday and got lazy from the heat and didnt cover boat. No big deal there but got a pretty hard rain overnight. went out this morning to clean /dry boat and cover and the engine was fully trimed up and battery dead. Had spare battery and installed. motor to raise engine is engaged trying to raise even further. wont respond to "down". Took off battery cables until i resove. Any ideas?

Yep, I got an idea on this as I have seen it happen a bunch. This is why I wont start my engine to warm up and walk away to park the truck.

I actually seen a guy do this and his motor trimmed up while it was idleing. I had to jump in his boat and turn off the key then had t wait for him to explain what I had seen.

Save yourself some time and hopefully money. If you have multiple trim locations, check them one at a time. Go to the front and disconnect it...if it trims up then move on. Disconnect the the one on the engine next and if still trims up then more than likely the hand control switch is bad and requires a shop (for me).

Could also be the trim relays. I had a 120hp Johnson back in 1994 - brand new engine. I was driving down the river, and it just trimmed completely out of the water. I'd try to trim it down, but it didn't want to go anywhere but up. Turns out, I had got water under the relay some kind of way, and the short it made was making the relay say "up" all the time. Cleaned off the relay, stuck it back in there, and everything was fine. Glad someone stopped to show me that, or I probably never would have figured it out.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back