motor problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Duggan

Reaction score
I have a question for you motor guys..

when i bought my 882 i was talked into putting a 115 4 stroke efi on the back.

i wasn't looking to run at 60+mph. the 3 yr warrenty and 40% fuel economy was very tempting. so i went with the upgrade to the 4 stroke. it took about the first season to really get the boat to run great. it had a terrible hole shot and just wouldnt get up to full RPMs. with the new prop and seat time it really performed pretty well. i had 21/2 great seasons with it.

last fall it really started to act weird. almost like it was loosing spark/ignition. i could smell unburned fuel in the air and it ran like a lame dog. my dealer has been trying to get it right for 6 months now.

i have to say they have been great, and they now have replaced just about every part under the cowl that has anything to do with the igntion.

i have contacted Mercury about this problem. i stated that the warrenty expires in April 06. they gave me a claim number and said they would extend the warrenty on this issue untill the mechanic claims it is allset.

i found out today that the new ECU module did not make any differance. it was kind of a last straw on there part. they have now ordered a new MAPP sensor and will try it next week. they feel that this could be it. i feel they have tried evrything and lost. i now have no confidence in this motor. i am looking to trade it in with my dealer and up grade. i have 3 years of seat time in this boat. i love the hull and it is just the right size for most of the lakes we fish. so i don't want to get a hole new rig at this time.

so i have a couple of questions for you guys.

what steps would you guys take with Merc at this point?

what steps would you take with your dealer?

Do you think i can get anything from merc? or am i wasting my time?

My dealer says they will take it in on trade. how do you think a 135 opti would perform?

(a 150 will be to big of a hit to my wallet)

i really like the dealer and they have been 1st class up to this point. they even stored the boat for free. i know that sounds wierd, they should have under the surcumstances. they have been working on it and keeping me in the loop. i just feel like spring is right around the corner and i am going to be boatless. i may even miss the first tourny.

well thanks for listening, this is the longest post for me in 3 yrs. i hope you guys can help with any info or sugestions.

GregD

Greg, it sounds as if they've done everything they could do. I don't understand why they can't pinpoint the problem by plugging their diag. equip onto the computer.

If the new MAPP doesn't do the trick, bring up the trade-in / upgrade issue.

A 135 Opti is approx. $600 less than the 150, if you are thinking of the 135, go for the 150. However, don't overlook the 115 Opti either if the others are out of your budget.

On a side note - Marine USA in Worc. has a 2003 150 XR6 (used) for sale....

i spoke with the deale about the trade.

they will give me 7k for my 03 115.

they will sell the 135opti for 13k. so there is a differance of 6k. they said they would put the prop on and do all of the rigging at no cost to me.

i don't think i can justify a 6000.00 up grade to a 3 yr old boat. i will never be able to recoop that additional investment. the main reason i looked into the 135 was cost. i don't think going to a 115 opti is a smart choice. it will be kind of apples for apples. if you know what i mean.

i just may call marine usa and see if i can do something with that 150xr. i should have just bought the 150 in the first place. hind sight!!!!! it is a killer.

Pat, what do you know about the 115efi. should i just hold out and let them fix it??

Bruce. nothing will show up on there diagnostic equipment. there did notice a voltage issue with the mapp sensor.

i will find out next week if it worked, but i will still not be convinced untill June.

GregD

Pat,

thanks for the input. i did go with the intent on purchaseing the 150xr.

the dealer did indeed sell me the 115.

in hind site, i wish i had found this site before the purchase. i would have known to buy at least a 150 on that rig.

i have had good luck with the 115 up to this point. it is not a rocket by any means. but it is pretty good for what it is.

i did find an 03 150xr at marine usa. they are asking 6/7k with out any cables or prop.

i looked around the net this AM and found a 05 opti 135 for 9k. if i could get it shipped with out major charge up to NH. i may concider that. i still need them to buy back the 115. i feel 7k for a 3yr old motor is fair. i thought 13k for a new 135 was pretty steep.

what do you have in the shop??? any good left overs or a good trade in?

i will be looking around for a good deal, just a little nervous about a used motor at this point.

GregD

Just curious, what does the dealer do with the motor when they buy it back if it isn't performing properly. Does Merc buy it back?

Latest posts

Back