Motor mounted crooked

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk Schafer

Reaction score
Hard to believe, but I have owned my 882dc w/ 150 EFT boat for a little over two years. The last time i loaded the boat after fishing I caught a look at it from the rear about 100 ft away and noticed that the engine is not mounted vertically. I took the boat to a tracker marine dealer and service center and they measured the jack plate and sure enough the right side is about 1/2 inch higher than the left side. They contacted Tracker Custumer care Center and they were told that the one year warranty was up and they are not responsible to fix it. I view this as a manufacturing defect , the holes were driller at the plant not the dealer were I bought it, and that tracker should fix this.

Can anyone give me help or do I swallow this 2000.00 dollar plus fix myself?

Does this hinder the boat performance?

2k? Is this just a jack plate issue? Truth is most motors are not mounted perfectly straight. But if you have not noticed until now its probably not that noticeable.

My 90 is mounted a little crooked....not enough to mess with though. I moved some weight around but I'm sure it has to hinder preformance somewhat.

When I'm by myself though it seems to run flat:wacko:

I live in Van, Tx. Got a little wind and about 2 inches of rain. Faired pretty good.

Thanks for the responses. Gueww I will let it go and keep on fishing.

Light winds gusts up to 40+, light rain. I made out good, just could not get any gas or diesel tell yesterday.

You might wish to look at a few other boats like yours. You'll find that they're also mounted at a slight cant in an effort to ease the torque of the motor's right hand rotation. Every Nitro I ever had was mounted like that, some more noticeable than others, with this explaination given by the factory.

Dan is that a case of " if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh!t"?????:blink: LOL

Gene

Gene - Not that your lack of public courtesy deserves a response, but the question proposed has been addressed numerous times, here and elsewhere. The plant mgr. at the time I inquired, Terry Ickes, stated that the transom is scribed (if you look closely, you'll notice a faint "scratch line" perpendicular through the center of all the transoms), then the lazer jig is applied, drilling the four mount holes. The mounting is centered from the pad, not the topside hull cap which most people reference visually. Almost all the hulls I've seen (brand regardless) and every Nitro I've owned (a bunch) appears to have the motor at a slight tilt. This mounting process and resulting slight tilt was explained to me by Mr. Ickes to have been for compensating for right hand hook.

Gene is your response a case of "if you can't contribute genuinely, try to instigate turmoil"?????:blink:LOL

Nope, just having fun. (Notice the LOL after) With some factory responses you never know which way the answer should be taken. No offense meant.

Gene

Back