More Computer help needed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
I have my router all set up. My sister can be on the desk top and I can be on my laptop at the same time.

I was watching the news a few weeks ago and there was something about ppl being able to access the wireless network from the street driving by and then they have access to my computer...etc....

It talked about how to add a password and to help protect from that, how do i do that?

BJ

Read the section in your manual under WEP security, if you do not implement at least WEP encryption everyone in your neighborhood will be surfing for free.. I wish I could be more help but each routers set up is different.

Good luck

X

xmytruck is correct use wep, 128 bit is best. Just open Internet Explorer and type in the IP address of your router (usually 192.168.1.1) type in the userID (default is admin on linksys) and your password (default is admin on linksys). On Linksys, opening page has WEP settings there. Also, just as important, change the default password of your router. Once you have created your WEP password make sure you change it on the PC and laptop.

also, i'm going to buy a bag so i can transport the computer easily when we go on vacation. I'm just going to run to Staples or Office Depot and pick up a bag. Is there another store or a certain bag i should look at? This may be a dum question but i figure all bags arent created equal, i'll need something that will last and isnt too expenisive.

thanks again

BJ

I'm guessing when you say computer you are talking laptop. Take your laptop in the store with you (may want to tell them at front desk). Make sure your laptop fits snug in the bag as there are different size laptops. Most bags are personal preference. Some have many compartments some only have a couple. I like a bag with lots of compartments, so when I fly I can keep fishing mags and other reading material in the laptop bag. My job is computer related so I always have lots of extra cables and connectors, so I never have enough compartments.

Sorry for getting to techie on the above response, you're not going to like what I say, but if you read the directions that came with the router it should step you through how to setup WEP and change the default password on the router (I know, I only read the directions as a last resort or when I have had enough of the wife yelling at me, ha ha). Seriously though, if you don't change the password on the router someone can get into it from the Internet or by driving by (war driving). If you need more help let me know what kind of router you have and I will post a link on how to setup that kind of router, or go to the manufactures website and they will have complete directions on setup.

Thanks paul,

Its a Dell 2350 router. The user guide is on the CD that came with it. I browsed through it but havent been able to find the WEP. I'll look some more

again thank you.

BJ

Hey Paul, one more question.

I'll be doing some travelling this summer with my computer. What do i need to buy to keep with me so i can connect to the internet in a hotel room.

BJ

BJ most hotels have high speed. Usally it is gonna be wireless so bring your wireless card if yours is not internal. Also bring a cat 5 cable if they have a wall jack high speed and a reglar phone cable if you use dial up. Also if you forget anything most hotels will have cables and wireless bridges for you to use free. Tiger direct has a neat little case that has everything you need cable wise (USB, phone, cat 5 ect..) that is in a zip up pouch for about $10. All the cabels are spring loaded on a reel so it keeps them neat when not in use. I am sure they have a web adress but I usually see them in Sky Mall, an airline magazine. Hope this helps.

Donnie

BJ,

Even more secure than encryption alone is MAC filtering. The MAC address is a unique "serial number" for your network connection (card or wireless). If you read through that manual (or better yet ask around among your friends from school, get the computer geek to help you). MAC filtering allows only those specific network devices to connect to your router.

Donjovi-

is this it?

http://www.skymall.com/webapp/skystore?process=prodDisplay&action=&pid=69697606&catId=11010&iscrssl=

There is an easy solution... If you have connected to your wireless router via ether cable which I believe you said you have... Just disable the wireless portion of the router... I too have a linksys wireless router and have disabled the wireless portion to prevent others from accessing my network... This too is in your users guide.

Tight Lines,

Bill:rolleyes:

Yup thats it. Looks like it's $10 after a rebate. Still a pretty good deal and it should have everything you need, including your wires for a digital camera. I have been thinking of getting one of those since I travel alot. I keep my laptop in my backpack and my wires always get tangled no matter how neat I try to keep them. If you get it let me know how it is.

Donnie

BJ I will look for some info. You may want to call Dell, they have a great support staff (if you have problems understanding them insist you need to talk to someone that can speak English, they will transfer you, sometimes I get transfered to India I think ;-)

You already paid for support when you purchased Dell. I work in a Hospital and I am a Network Administrator and we use Dell equipment. If my PC people are having trouble I have them call Dell and they will solve the problem 99% of the time. When people ask me what type of PC to buy I recommend Dell as I know they will get good help if they call the Dell support center.

BJ Here is the link to the Dell 2350 Broadband Router setup utility that includes the user manual and the install control utility. I'm not sure you can get there without a logon ID, give it a try. If not call Dell and tell them you need the file R89391.exe

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?releaseid=R89391&c=us&l=en&s=hea&cs=RC968571

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

I got on the website just fine and downloaded it!

Bill, my desktop is connected by cable to the router, my laptop is wireless.

BJ

Then your best security is through WEP and MAC filtering...

Tight Lines,

Bill:)

Back