Molding Trouble

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Okay, first of all no wise cracks from the "Glass Class".

Whenever I fish up in the timber or sometimes when I'm docked I keep getting the rubber side molding pulled from the side of my PT185. Seems like taking a rawhide mallet, which I keep in the boat, and pounding the molding back on is part of the going home procedure. Now it's pretty beat up and stretched out. I suppose I can get more rubber molding from the carpet supply or Tracker Marine but what I'm wondering is how do I keep this from happening again? Would glueing it back on with automotive trim adhesive (AKA Gorilla Snot) work better than just hammering it back on like Tracker did.

Do any of you other "Tin Guys" suffer this same problem?

Any help is helpful.

Harpo

Harpo - Not had a problem with mine, though I don't have any standing timber in these deep water reseviors here in GA. A few dents from the dock but that's about it.

sorry, no help here.

Trep

My Xpress did it, my Nitro 911 does it....

On my Xpress, I got tired of it (lost one side actually) and used some marine sealant behind it. I'd use the Goop Marine stuff now though (since it's also billed as an adhesive).

If that doesn't work, you can weld it in place :)

If it's like my 2002 185...I removed it and used silicon to keep it in place...hasn't moved since. Also I sealed where the top cap is riveted to the side...you will get water in there even on plane.

TEE

Harpo, Had the exact same problem. Seemed it only popped out at 3 specific spots all the time. Like Tee, I used a little adhesive silicone right behind each problem spot before I smacked it back in. Solved each of the spots.

Back