Mod-V in chop...how does it fair

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan Book

Reaction score
Okay, I'm asking a ton of questions lately, but I'm trying to figure out how a mod-v boat would handle on some chop. The reason I ask is because I'm considering one, but our family also takes a yearly trip to Canada and the water can be rough up there sometimes. The lake we will always go to (have been going for 30 years) is about 5500 acres with about 10 islands to break things up a bit, but it still get's a little choppy. I was wondering if anyone could give me a general idea on how a mod-v would handle on this lake...I know you can't give specifics...I just would like a general idea.

How well a boat handles is as much the pilot as it is the boat. Your question would be very difficult to answer.

The Pro-Team 185 (2004 model year) handles light to moderate chop very well.

In heavy chop (2 feet or higher), the key to maintaining a comfortable ride is speed management. You'll need to displace more water to offset the shallower inclination on the rear half of the hull. The front's deeper V will slice right through it and deflect the spray to either side, but you don't want to be going so fast that you jump from one wave onto the next. It would be the same traversing the wake of a big boat. Slow down, let the weight of the boat absorb the blow of the wave, then power back up.

The nice thing about the mod-V hull is that it tends to be more stable at rest than a full-blown V, but you do risk taking some water over the gunnels while at rest if the waves are high.

We have had my father-in-law's boat out on Table Rock and Lake of the Ozarks and it did just fine.

How about his as far as handles goes...when it is at a rest and we are just drifting or using the trolling motor how does it fare? As far as whether or not it can speed back to the ramp at full throtle I don't really care. Thanks again for the help.

Not sure I'm following your question but I'll try. At rest the boat is sitting right on top of the water so it is easily blown about by any strong breeze. It is fairly stable to chop and wakes but you do have to ride it out if another boater blows by very closely. I will also have to get my balance if someone on the back quickly moves from one side to the other but I think that would be the case on any bass fishing type boat.

Harpo

Ethan - I have a 2005 Pro Crappie 175, which is the current Revolution Hull Tracker Mod-V hull. I've had no problems in moderate chop driffing live bait for Stripers or Trolling umbrella rigs and/or crank baits as well. As MOFish said, is it as dry/deep as a Deep V, Not at all, but it does a great job and some of the lakes I fish are quite a bit larger then the one in Canada you mention (Allatoon and Lanier). And I agree with Pat Goff that running it's as much the driver then the boat. I've tried running my 175 at WOT (with the 40 Merc in chop that's say 28mph) and YES it's bumpy and depending on the angle of attack to the waves and type (depth, distance between swells...) is dry or sprayed wet.

Trep

My 2003 PT185 didn't handle the chop very well at all!

The hull cracked in two spots and it SANK!

P1010179.jpg

Come on Brian...you are making an unfair assesment. That is the only 185 I've seen do that. Bad material possibly....

Also the foam inside had to be waterlogged for it to sink. So the cracks were there for awhile...probably longer than you think.

Tough and Proud 185 owner:)

TEE
truck 2.jpg

I'm with you Tee. Brian, man we are all sorry about the quality of your boat, but from the hundreds of 175/185 owners on this site this is the first one i'm aware of that had that type or major of a problem!

Heck the boat takes serious chop on KY lake and STILl produces HUGE fish!!!! (could not resist!!! LOL)
2004%20April%20Rally%20big%20fish%20in%20boat4%20for%20web.jpg

Naw, a dang fish that is permanently scarred with hand prints in its lip and around its tail!! By the time Trep threw him back, he could swallow a basketball!!

TOXIC

Ethan - Just ignore these simpletons!!! LOL

Seriously on the Mod V, if Tracker still made a Dual Console on the 185, it would at the top of my list for 2006 for a new boat. A 185 DC with the Galvashield Trailer, 115 Carb Merc on the back...MMMMM SWEET!!!!

Best of luck to all you 185 owners out there!!!! I hope it doesn't happen to anyone out there cuz it was a nightmare!!! For the record, no names, I'm not the only one it happened to!

Earlier this year at the rally on the day of the tournament the wind was blowing hard right up the length of Kentucky Lake producing some pretty nasty waves. Rich and I crossed the lake in his Nitro to get away form everyone and to fish a quiet little cove.....

We're just sitting there minding our business when we hear this voice from behind shouting "Lookie! Lookie! Lookie at what I catched!" And here's Michael standing there showing off his fish!

I think we both uttered "How'd he get over here?" at the same time! I was amazed that Michael had actually crossed in those wind blown waves!

After seeing that, I think the Revolution hull will handle just about anything you throw at it!

me!

(Ok, Michael..... I'll take my $5 for posting your picture again!)
Trep%20with%20FISH.jpg

I loved the boat, til it SANK! Tracker replaced it with a nitro of my choice, GO FIGURE!

And you can turn around and give that $5 dollars to me for posting my pic again that I was trying to avoid in the first place!!! LOL!!

Bob G.

And MANY thanks to my Net B&tch Bob for an GREAT job landing that Monster!!!

I don't know about Trep and Bob,but I looked like I had just stepped out of a shower after the run across the lake.LOL

That was the problem I had with my bilge pump and livewell pump.The shaking of the console had pulled the plug loose for them.I had my wireing tied up a little too tight.

Other than that,those tin cans did just fine.And that wind WAS howling up through that lake.

BTW...I have also cracked the hull on my boat : (

I keep trying to break it in half,but the best I could do was crack it ; )

OK Steve now let's compare the boats though!! Yours is a 1991 Pro Team 17, the older mod-V hull, mine is a 2000 Revolution hull which is CONSIDERABLY different in design and ride. I think you even mentioned when you rode in mine that it DID ride a LOT smoother then your 1991!!! LOL

You could tell a definate difference in the hulls.Mine feels more like a vibration from the small chop,yours seems to cut through it.It's kind of hard to explain.

We didn't slow down at all crossing over the lake.Heck,I even took a ride up to Barkley.The channel was downright hateful choked up with cabin cruisers hauling a$$ through there.

Those tin rigs can handle alot more than some give them credit for.

I took my Tracker Tournament V-17 to Lake of the Woods this year. We drove from Fullerton, California. The drive was something in itself. But as for my boat, it handles pretty good. It aint no lund though. But we had some nasty weather one day, and like MOfish says, you have to find the right speed to displace the water. And at times, that may or may not be full throttle. I also added a deck extension to my boat to give the bow some more weight to keep her down in heavy conditions. I think if I could buy a boat all over again ; I would have gotten the Tundra series. But mine gets me on the water and she treats me well. No complaints here.

Back