minnkota allterain 55 to replace my MG on PT175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg hall

Reaction score
looking to upgrade to MK at55 from MG standard trolling motor just do not like the MG seems to flimsy & I have hard time with the foot controls (big feet) had a AT 40 on my old boat & loved it,what do you guys think?

Greg--I made the very same up grade on my Pro-17.

It will use up a lot more juice.It would have been nice to get one with a maximizer,or up-grade to 24 volt.

The factory wireing was too small (10 gauge).I had to re-wire with 6 gauge wire and 50 amp circuit breaker.

The foot pedal is alot taller than the M.K. I made a recess in my deck,and it makes it alot more comfortable in the long run.

This motor is practally unbreakable.Almost two years with no problems yet.The old M.k. is sitting in the basement all twisted and bent.

55 lbs is plenty for that boat.I have put my bro-in-law off the back deck,and into the drink twice already (whoops,sorry dude ; )

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RIGHT SIZE WIREING.

Im going to use two batterys in paralell but just may go with the 40 AT instead dont want to rewire I think a 40 would be enough.I already had a 40AT on my other boat & it was more than enough.

I upgraded my PT 175 from the MG 40 to a MK PD 55.

Not much difference in battery drain. I kept the original wires, no problem, fused the tm battery at 50 amp. I can run all day and still have juice. It does have the maximizer I think.

Installation is pretty forth right. Just use your noggin and work slowly. Protect your arm when reaching through the hole to the space under the deck. May cut into your forearm/bicep. email me if want to.

I upgraded to the AT 55 on my TV-18 and love it. No problems what so ever. Only draw back to me is the foot pedal sits a little high for me but that's it.

Greg--you may not have to re-wire,mine originally came with a #32 m.g.I was just stressing to make sure the wires are the right size.Mine were too small,and I had a major meltdown.

The two battery setup is going to be my winter project this year.

Back