Minimal tools you always take.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Ferendo

Reaction score
Guys,

I am no mechanic but it does seem like if I am on the river miles from any help (hey, it COULD happen) there may be some tools that I should have. The problem is that I don't know what they should be. I mean I know I won't be able to fix an outboard problem myself but just in case a Tracker mechanic happens to come by what is the minimum tools that I should always have on board my boat....not including a cell phone to call for a tow. Does AAA respond to river breakdowns? :unsure:

I think i remember Ken Neeley posting a list at one point.......:lol:

Seriously.

I bought a really handy little tool kit from sears that has an assortment of sockets and wrenches in a pleather pouch, i think it cost around $30. I carry that plus an adjustable big enough to grab the prop nut, screwdrivers, a foldable allen and torx head wrench. just the basic tools needed to tughten just about any screw or nut on the boat.

I also carry fuses for the fuse block, spare parts like a prop pin for the tm(prop and nut too), Spare flo-torq hub for the big motor, a set of spark plugs, various crimp connectors to repair a wire if need be, electrical tape, some zip ties if i need to tie someting up, a tool kit on a roll( also known as duct tape) , and jumper cables.

I carry the stuff in two little dryboxes that i found a nice place to stow under the storage compartments in the rear of my 882, i put battery trays back there and strap them down. ill post a picture when i get home of whwre i put them.

screwdrivers - 4 - large and small slot and phillips

Pliers

crescent wrench - 2

electrical tape

duct tape

needle nose pliers

side cutters

prop nut wrench

knife

that should about cover the basics I believe

problems you need more tools for should probably be handled at home

One tool I never go fishing without is my Gerber multi-tool, the 600 series Fisherman.

In my water tight tool box I have jumper cables, fuses, spare circuit breakers, spare trolling motor cord, spare trolling motor prop w/ several prop nuts, assorted screwdrivers and wrenches, and an old stainless steel revolver. (bayou country)

I took the cover off my engine, and went through every nut, bolt, screw, etc... on there. I have a socket, wrench or screwdriver for each one, as well as two crescent wrenches - one large enough to tighten a prop nut, and one smaller. I also carry duct tape, electrical tape, spare prop nut / thrust washer with my spare prop,fuses, electrical connectors, stripping/crimping tool and a multimeter.

All the best,

Glenn

A can of fix-o-flat, and I learned luckily in my driveway, that a standard "star" lug nut wrench for autos will not fit in the mag wheels of my Trailer wheels I needed a breaker bar with a thin wall socket.

I always have a spare winch strap as well.

Oil for my trailer bearings

wd-40

Another item that you may already keep in your boat, but if not is a tow rope.

Hey Neeley - Set this guy straight will ya!!! lol

Wire ties can fix what duct tape won't. I also carry extra battery terminal screws.

Donnie

I carry a hatchet in the boat with me. I've used it to collect firewood from the dead timber stands and also to hack my way out when I get in too deep in the wood. Also carry an old golf umbrella. You never know when you might get caught in a hailstorm and sometimes you just gotta have a little shade.

Harpo

THE LIST!!!!!

1 AAA battery

A bike inner tube

A spare change of underwear

6 postage stamps

A paper clip

2 turtle-doves

A hockey puck---regulation

3 jack-nuts

A copy of War and Peace

Wax Paper

Grass seed

Gynecologist's phone number

Spare blades for the mower

Silly Putty

4 boiled eggs

300 feet of parachute cord

Dr. Scholl's foot powder

100 lbs. of Ice....(buy it before you leave, you'll have cold water when you get there)

A wishbone from last Thanksgiving's turkey

Nair Hair remover

A vanilla scented candle

Baby-Wipes

Preparation-H...economy size

4 eyes-of-newt

Dried gizzard of lizard

9 chicken beaks

Parrafin Wax

VCR

Cordless Phone

Strawberry Jam

Tweezers

Paragoric

Castor Oil

2 mouse traps

cheese for the mouse traps

crackers for any leftover cheese that the mice don't eat

3 cats to chase the mice that the mouse traps don't get

cat food for the cats

soy sauce to cook the cats in if you don't catch fish to eat

nose hair clippers

Flow-Bee hair cutting kit

Picture of MAC to put by my bed at night

Picture of MINI to take in the shower with me

Soap for the shower

Loofah pad for the shower

Body gel....for the shower

Handcuffs

Key for the Handcuffs

SPARE key for the Handcuffs

Hack saw for the Handcuffs...if I lose the spare key

Feather Boa...1 each, pink, pastel blue, and magenta

Sewing needles

kumquats

Staple remover

Nail gun

beer-bong

Owner's Manual for a '74 Harley

Eyebrow Shaver in case Rob show's up!!!

Bullhorn

Chopsticks....(for the cat marinated in soy sauce)

It gets funnier every time I read it. Next week, I'll make sure Neeley has all of that avaliable in his shop when I am up there.

TOXIC

Tox,

I need to add a few things....

Orange cones

Bicycle Helmets

Corn Whiskey

:lol::p:lol:

Back