Military Guys

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William H. (Bill) Barham

Reaction score
To get straight on a certain new medicine regimen, I've had to try and stay up real late.

So, while watching TV and just really leaving it on the National Geographic Channel, I'm in the middle of some American fought battles.

The first one I watched with awe mainly because I have done a lot of research on it, was the Civil War Battle of the Wilderness, May 5-7, 1864. The battlefield was the Wilderness of Spotsylvania, an expanse of nearly all scrub growth and rough terrain that encompassed about 70 square miles of Spotsylvania County and Orange County in central Virginia.

My main interest in that battle was because my Grandfather was in it as part of the 10th. Virginia Infantry and he was captured there along with about 35 other's of his Company.

He was sent to Point Lookout, MD at first and then after some time was transferred to Elmira, NY where only six of his Company, out of the original 35 that were captured, managed to stay alive and were released.

The second show I'm watching now is about the Battle of Saipan in W.W.II, from 15 June 1944 to 9 July 1944. The Japanese had no way to be reinforced and really had no chance but suicide charges were taking a deadly toll on the Marines. They were told the marines were going to eat them after being cooked alive and so swore to get eight marines to every one of them. A lot of very young Marines literally had there heads cut off while they lay there wounded. When there were about 100 Marines left in the 105th they radioed for more men, water, ammo, and other supplies but they weren't believed as the Shoulder Board Crowd didn't believe them and thought the battle was over! The fight went on from the beach after that. What brave and great men those damn Marines were even though they all thought they had been abandoned!!!! God help me, even though Greg is a Marine, I love them and God Bless them all!

The Show coming up next is all about the Battle of Ia Drang, November 14 and November 18, 1965 in the Republic of Viet Nam. Though I have read about this before I really don't know a lot it except that it was a horror for the men there and anyone interested should look it up and read about it... No way I can watch it..

Sorry this is so off topic but I had to get it out.

Uncle Billy

I always watch the "Shootout" episodes on the Military Channel......all kinds of various battles...both law enforcement and military. It's unbelievable, the courage and guts our people display when they're in a life and death situation. We truely are a blessed nation to have people of that caliber....BOTH men and women. The USA is the BEST, by FAR!!:rolleyes:;)

Some of History is far more dramatic than can ever be written by the "movie people"

fatrap

Yes sir, they have some great shows on NATGEO and Histroy Channel. :) :wub: :)

Unfortunately, too many Americans get their history from the fiction channels. :(

...and most public school teachers aren't allowed to tell the TRUTH...it's too controversial and offensive!! Liberal School Admins,....they can't handle the TRUTH!!:angry:

UB,

You need to come down here....will put you up and we can go see the battlefields...VERY sobiering and makes me glad we are over the frontal assault thing now......

Marty, Mac, you are right there!!!!

Listened to my Dad for hours,after of course I had retired from the AF myself. He could not talk about it before then. Nam 68 to 72 forward air control towers and bases he set up and watch get blown up. He passed in 2000, it is just now I can watch those shows on Vietman. On a side note I lived in the PI 69-73 and toured Bataan, Corregidor, Manila and lost of other sites. Very sombering. Love the shows on my planes I ogt to fly in B-52 (1000 hours) and KC-135 (3000 hours).

Back