Mileage Towing the Boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
Went fishing with my brother-in-law last weekend, using my boat and my truck ('03 Ram 2500 Quad Cab w/ Hemi V8). Had the overdrive turned off all the way down and back.

Got to the lake and, out of curiosity, checked the trip computer to see what my milage was like. I was stunned to see 22.3 on the display. Normally, the truck averages 10.2 on the highway with or without the overdrive.

I was so elated, I called my wife on the cell phone. About halfway through my excited description of gas consumption, I noticed that the little symbol next to the digits read K (kilomters), not M (miles). Pushed the Metric button and saw 10.2 on the display....

Man, that's like being eight years old on your birthday, opening a brightly wrapped present...and getting socks and underwear.

11.7 on a 3/4 ton Chebby 6.0 v8 in tow haul mode. Now the upside to that is that it is a 3/4 ton and it rides and drives like a caddy!! Mac can attest to that.

TOXIC

or a "first aid kit" with the note "It's time for you to start getting grown up presents"

I get about 12 towing a 901 with a 03 Toyota 4Runner (the V-8 model)

david

11.8 towing a 911 with a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab with the V-8.

My computer on my 2003 5.3L gave me 15-16 unloaded and 12ish towing my boat. Chevy reg cab. My ext cab doesn't have the steering wheel controls, so I can't access the little computer job. Oh well.

13-14.5 mpg towing the boat 17.5 -19 mpg driving unloaded. 2004 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax

You diesel guys are in a different class.

I miss my F-150s mileage, but I don't miss the wheezing and gasping sounds it would make pulling my boat up a long grade. The Hemi just hums right along...sucking gas the whole way. Fully loaded, I can still pass people going uphill.

Best I've done, uloaded, no boat and in overdrive is 13.4

LOL...here's mine. 17.5 mpg towing my 2000 PT175/50 with my 2004 Toyota Tacoma double cab 4wd/ V6. I turn my OD off unless I am on flat road way and have the "ECT Power" on which just firms up the shift points and makes it "wind" out a little more.

OT: I wish I had seen pictures of the new 2005 Tacoma before I sold my 2002 and bought my 2004 in April. It is one SWEET truck and it comes with the 4.0 V6 and 5 speed auto (or 6 speed manual).
dcab_with_short_bed_trd.jpg

Now that my Titan is broken in it is getting a bit better mileage. Unloaded I am seeing 17.5mpg and with the boat it is around 12mpg. This is with the 4x4 offroad and tow packages.

I get like 13-14 pulling my 882 around with my Dakota 4x4 4.7 V8. it could be worse and it could be better but it tows the boat without breaking a sweat and thats all i care about.

Back