Michigan Anglers

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
Anyone read the article in the February BassMaster about the 'catch and release' lakes in Michigan...

Once again, it appears we'll be screwed by the politicians...Good science PROVES that catch and release is not having an adverse impact on fish populations...But because the State Legislature would have to get involved...well, you know what happens when the Government has to play a role...

maybe someday we'll be able to fish here in the spring...

az

And maybe we will be able to Drop Shot in the spring some year...Drop Shotting is illegal in Michigan as well, no matter the season. Arrrgh..

--Corey

MOFish can tell you what total catch-and-release does to a lake.....

The boy scout lake south of St. Louis gets very little fishing pressure and the fish are all stunted. A conservation agent told them to keep ALL the fish they catch to try and thin out the population.

Having all that many fish means you never get skunked - and you catch more fish in a day than you might normally catch in a season..... But then you almost never catch anything that'll put a bend in your rod either.

I agree Andy. I fish 3 out of those 5 lakes regularly. All 3 are relatively close to my home, and as far as I can tell have recieved no ill effects from the early catch and release season. I fished them before they were ever given early catch and release designation and many many times since...I have witnessed no ill effects from the early season.

It is very sad when decisions that should be made by scientists are left in the hands of politicians.

I've fished 4 of the 5,....with 3 being less than 30mins from my house.....I agree with Smitty,..I haven't seen or noticed any ill effects and I've been surveyed by the DNR

when I leave the lake on all sorts of stuff,...species I went after,..number caught,...size,..weight,..etc..etc..

They have all the data they need to make an educated and scientific decision....the politician's just base their decision's on what's in it for them politically...happens all the time!

Mac

Tox, it's to protect salmon from snaggers. Michigan does not allow a hook tied directly to your main line, above the weight. You have to tie it to a dropper line at least 3" long. And you are right, it's silly.

Craig

Are these catch and release lakes on the East side of the state Andy?

The reason im asking is i have never heard of these catch and release lakes.

T.S.

Hey Travis, 3 of the 5 (Cass, Pontiac, and Kent) are in Oakland County, Holloway is in Gennesee County. Not exactly sure where Hardy is, but I know it in the northern Lower Peninsula.

Craig

Isn't Muskegon listed too??....seems like there was one on the west coast..LOL

Now that you mention it, I think Muskegon was in the article.

Craig

Muskegon Lake and Hardy Dam Pond are on this side...about 1/3 the way up the state...Muskegon Lake is basically a wide spot in the Muskegon river where it enters Lake Michigan...Hardy Dam pond is the small reservoir above the Hardy dam which is also on the Muskegon River...almost to Big Rapids...

az

If I recall from the article, they are all impoundments of some river system. They believe that this fact scews the data because fish are spawning up river or in small tributaries where there is little to no fishing pressure.

So no one really knows if a catch and release season would have negative effects on a natural lake or pond.

I don't agree, I'm just trying to recall what I read.