Mercury Trophy

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
Anyone use the Merc Trophy prop??? Do you like them??? I heard some say the blades break off.

Bubby:)

I like the trophy over the tempest on most boats, been running 1 on all my Nitros. Got a a 26p on my Z9 that will run 73-74.

The older ones broke. They have re-formulated them. That is from the prop shop. I threw an ear on mine and my new one is a Trophy II. Runs good, been turning it for over a year, no problems. I do need to get a cavitation ring because the prop base is smaller than the lower unit. I don't blow out but if I get in the salad, it will clog the shaft jiffy pronto and the only way to get it clean is out of the water.

TOXIC

Great prop for loaded weight. Lots of bow lift from a small hub.

Tox - Have you got the correct thrust washer behind your prop hub?

Thanks everyone. Hey Tox, do you know how to speak French. Us Coonasses don't understand all that talk.

Cavitation ring???

Blow out in salad???

Clog the shaft???

Wish I could say I am kidding, but I am not.:huh:

Bubby

:lol::lol:

Cavitation Ring: A ring that fits on your prop shaft between the prop and the lower unit.

Blow out in Salad: Lose prop grip in the weeds.

Clog the shaft: Weeds wrapping around the prop shaft behind the prop.

Dan, yeah it's the right one, I got it from a reputable prop shop and they knew exactly what year and make my motor was. If I get weeds between the prop and LU because of the smaller circumfrence of the new prop base, my rig will cavitate bad. Usually right as the bow drops. Normally, I used to get out of the weeds, pop her into reverse and give her a rev and the weeds would come off like a salad shooter!! Now they just wrap on the prop shaft of the motor. I have been told it is a common problem and a cav ring will cure it. I've got too many other projects pending with my boat to worry about that right now!!:lol:

TOXIC

Tox,

If you need a cav ring order one from Mark Croxton the prop guy over on the BBC. I got one from him for mine and it was ~25 and unlike some its not a weld on deal it press fits tight on the hub and stays there by itself. I had mine within like 3 days of ordering it.

I have to have the ring on mine to control the exhaust over the blades. My 175 XS is strong enough to blow it out if i plant the throttle when i have run my 4 blade.

Not knocking your tech, but you might want to double check your thrust washer part number. (It should be a 13191-a or -1, any 13191 should be the correct thrust washer for the small hub Trophy on your L/U.) That small hub should fit so snug into that thrust washer, your shaft should only be exposed past the keeper and lock nut on the hub. If you are using a 835467 (or 12-835467-1) you are leaving an unplanned vent area at the hub and it will grab weeds, fishing line...whatever...right into the shaft at the output shank right on top of the gearcase seal. That's where you don't want anything constricting tighter and tighter at every RPM. Seal gets eaten and L/U goes BOOM! :eek: Not trying to freak you out. Just food for thought. ;)

* Forgot to add: Jim is right on as usual! Some prop/hull combos just eat grass, regardless of the engineer matching componants. That's when the cav. ring can be a great help. The shaft fit is the only one I'd recomend. It seats itself, is much easier install (like changing props), and no worries about welding onto a perfectly good L/U.

Actually Dan, mine isnt a case where it eats grass. I can blow it out in clean water on the holeshot any time i want too, there is just too much exhaust over the blades and if i stomp it to the floor i can spin the prop free with ease.

The cav ring i got fits on the hub of the propeller and fills up the area that the exhaust normally exits from on the small hub. It more or less converts it to the same hub size as say a tempest.

I normally run a tempest but i have played with the 4 blade a bit, i just need a larger one i think because i loose too much speed.

Latest posts

Back