Mercury Motor type questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike daniels

Reaction score
two seperate questions

1) What is the difference between the Saltwater and regular XR6 150 motors? Is it worth paying a premium if the motor will see occational saltwater used followed by a good flush out.

2) I undrstand that the EFI motors start faster than Carberator motors. can someone give an estimate of how long it can take to crank an XR6 vs a EFI motor inder different conditions? I live in texas where it will be warm most of fishing season.

Mike,

I can't answer your first question, but I do have have an XR6 and can usually have it fired up the first time of the day in about 15 seconds. After that, it fires up with a turn of the key for the rest of the day.

Bob G.

I have a 115 hp 4-stroke EFI. It starts as well or better than either my Honda or Jeep automobiles. One quick turn of the key (maybe a full second, first start of the day) and off she goes. Very impressive.

In regard to your first question: I have lived directly on South River off of the Chesapeake Bay all my life. When I don't have the time to go Bass fishing I do go out into the river and bay to fish for stripers, perch, etc. I have had a LOT of boats and motors and have always just been careful to rinse everything off and flush the outboard very well with fresh water when I was done and have never had a salt water corrosion problem.

As I don't know how much more a salt water series motor is, I don't know if it's worth it or not. Personally, I wouldn't pay more.

Bill

XR6 vs EFI. I think starts will be easier, idling will be rougher. But it just depends on you. We never really had problems back in the days of carbd engines.

Depending on the cost diff, if your gonna flush the motor after using it in saltwater, and wash it down i don't see why ud pay more for a saltwater motor.

Hey Mike have you had the chance to hit the Galveston Bay area yet.

Mike -

I used to make trips to Florida and use my Nitro 180/115 Merc in the waters at the edge of the Gulf of Mexico and the Everglades. I'd flush it out each evening and never had any problems.

However..... If I were ever again to purchase a new boat and had the option..... The Saltwater Series is only about $100 more - well worth the added security.

me!

(But why does Mercury want more when Yamaha builds all their motors for use in salt and fresh water?)

Back