Mercury Guardian “limp mode” issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBERK

Reaction score
2017 Nitro Z-18 with Mercury 175 HP.
Usually at night when I am slowly accelerating without planing out, the warning alarm sounds with intermittent beeps and the motor goes into protection limp mode.
New impeller, stream is strong, oil reservoir is 3/4 full.
Could possibly be showing low oil level when the reservoir is at an angle?
Once I cut back to idle and plane out, it recovers fine. Any suggestions?
Thank you. BB.

Can you pull the code that is showing up? That would give you a starting point. I have seen a few issues with oil level sensors but a code would give you the direction to go. It could be an oil pump issue, and have you checked for any oil leaks? There are YouTube videos that may be able to help you diagnose your issues as well, depending on the beep pattern. VesselView is a great way to connect to your motor, as it will tell you DTC's or Diagnostic Trouble Codes. It is a great investment and worth the money.

I am on it! No oil leaks and I truly appreciate your response. Researching Vesselview now.
BB.

I had similar issues with my 2015 150 pro xs.
I changed all the easy stuff that I thought and people told me might fix it… no good
Finally got a boat shop to run scan .
The float in the motor mounted oil tank had broke and it wasn’t reading the oil level correctly. New oil tank and all was good

I had similar issues with my 2015 150 pro xs.
I changed all the easy stuff that I thought and people told me might fix it… no good
Finally got a boat shop to run scan .
The float in the motor mounted oil tank had broke and it wasn’t reading the oil level correctly. New oil tank and all was good
Had the same issue, like the other response had a bad sensor/float in engine mounted oil tank. 2008 mercury 150hp efi

Can you pull the code that is showing up? That would give you a starting point. I have seen a few issues with oil level sensors but a code would give you the direction to go. It could be an oil pump issue, and have you checked for any oil leaks? There are YouTube videos that may be able to help you diagnose your issues as well, depending on the beep pattern. VesselView is a great way to connect to your motor, as it will tell you DTC's or Diagnostic Trouble Codes. It is a great investment and worth the money.
Husker525 I second your opinion about VesselView, it's similar to having an OBD2 code reader for your car, plus you get the cool readout when you're on the water.

Back