Mercury Factory Props

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Dufour

Reaction score
I had a 12.5 23P original prop on a 75 hp Mercury. Top rpm was 4800. Was told that this prop was too big. Tracker just installed whatever prop they wanted. I am suppose to get 5500rpm. What size prop should I have?

check out mercurymarine.com - prop selector. They come up with the same #s Laser II 21P should get you around 39 MPH WOT.

If it's a 75hp Optimax the max rpm is 5750. My 04 640LX / 75 Optimax came rigged with a 3 blade aluminum 21 pitch. It was only turning 5200 w.o.t. Tried a vengeance 18, alarm goes off at 6000, motor had more to go, Holeshot was awsome though. Now running a 20 pitch Laser 2 and have the best of both worlds. Good holeshot and good top end for a small rig---45mph gps @ 5800rpm.The 20 Laser2 seems to be real popular on 75's and 90's.

Barry - "Tracker just installed whatever prop they wanted."

You'll find that Tracker (or Mercury), much like most mfg.'s, will put slightly more prop on a stock item. This helps to ensure that the new motor does not wind up too many RPM's.

"I had a 12.5 23P original prop on a 75 hp Mercury. Top rpm was 4800. Was told that this prop was too big. Tracker just installed whatever prop they wanted. I am suppose to get 5500rpm. What size prop should I have?"

First, Tracker dosen't install motors or props, your dealer does. Using Tracker's specs, of course. The spec's call for a 12.5 X 23 Black Max. If the performance is not satisfactory, call your dealer and see if they will swap props with you. As Bob said, a 12.75 X 21 should do the trick.

Craig

Thanks guys for the info. I contacted Power Tech and got the right size for my engine. I brought the other stainless prop back to where I purchased it and they will swap it out at no cost. The counter person just ordered what the book said, not what I really needed. Thanks again.

Barry

Back