Mercury customer service response

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Lane

Reaction score
I had sent a letter of complaint to Mercury Marine about the noise created in my 02 90hp 2 stroke when using various stainless steel propellers including a Mercury Laser II and Trophy Plus. I use this motor mounted to a 02 PT185. They called today and we talked about it. Basically, this is the explaination I got:

1) The noise is normal(?) when using ss props and should not affect the longevity of the drive train. Clutch dogs are the effected parts and these are considered normal wear parts anyway.

Note: If he is wrong, we can have pre-mature failure after the warranty expires.

2) Mercury does not recommend owners of 75hp-115hp use ss props on their motors. Use aluminum. The ss props are really intented for high performance applications 150hp and above. Owners of the 75-115 are trying to get more performance than the motors are intended to provide. I pointed out that was odd since their own website gives several prop applications for my 90, including 3 and 4 blade ss. The website doesn't say we will have to listen to loud rattling if used! No comment by the rep.

3) If I am concerned about the noise, run the aluminum. If I want the ss prop I should change the gear lube to their high performance lube to lessen the noise (I use synthetic Mobil I 75w90 anyway) and live with the noise/rattling which may or may not accelerate wear.

I think this is explaination is just hog wash. I believe this is a design flaw not fully accepted by Mercury. For me, this is my first and last Mercury. Over the years I have owned several Johnson/Evinrudes from the 2 cylynder 50hp up to the v-6 225 Offshore and never had anything sound like this in the drive train!

As you may have noted in earlier posts, I am using the 4 blade Piranha which gives me good handling and fair speed without the noise due to the Piranha's light weight. I sure wish I could run the Laser II and think it ridiculous my motor won't turn it properly.....

Ex Mercury customer,

LT

What a load of crap! I'm on my third letter to Mercury and thus far I have reseived virtually the same response. As you said, all the literature lists various stainless props as options. In fact, if you look at the web site, both the 90hp Mercury and the 90 Hp Mariner are shown with stainless steel props. Nowhere in the advertisment literature or my owners manual does it advise or caution us about using stainless steel props.

The fact that some motors do it and some don't indicates a defect in those that do. i simply want one of the motors that does not make the noise.

What really hacks me off is my dealer refuses to get involved and help.

Is it class action time?

Hate to say it but mercury is right. you will hear a noise in the gear case when put into gear w/ a stainless steel prop, it is due to the rough running of the motor and the clutch dogs pounding on each other at low RPMS and the weigh of the SS prop.

My arguement is, not all the motors of this class have the problem. Those that do have the noise are different and repairable. Something is out of spec, and Mercury should be willing to make it right. To tell us we have to live with the problem is simply unacceptable.

I will be sending a copy of my package to the President of Brunswick Corp. Because of my experience with this motor I have concerns about the quality of any Brunswick product be it Quantum, Motorguide or bowling balls.

Back