Mercury 60 HP question...(Experts HELP)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Ott

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Mercury Tracker 60HP on my 160TF Nitro. This weekend it was running great, but then started causing problems. It ran nice all day and burned an entire tank of fuel. Problem started about 10 or so minutes after filling the tank. It was running along fine and then suddenly lost power. It would still idle, but would barely pull the boat at full throttle. After turning off the engine, and letting it sit for a minute or so, it fired back up and ran like a champ again...??? This happend twice.

On the water we started trying a few things to see what the problem was. We removed a plug wire at a time and tried the motor. The top two plugs killed the engine when the throttle was applied. When the bottom plug wire was removed, the engine acted the same as it was, when it lost power. It would pull the boat, but not kill the motor.

This morning we pulled the fuel line out and cleaned the screen. We put it all back together and took it to water.

When we put it on the water it coughed a bit and then took off. I ran it for 30-40 minutes and it ran flawlessly.

I'm a little confused as to what it could be... Can anyone help with this??? Anyone had this problem. Do you think I got ahold of some bad fuel (water)???

Thanks in advance for any help.....

I'm not an expert but it sounds like you got bad gas or water in your gas to me.

That's my first thought too. I would drain the gas and change the fuel filter and see if that doesn't help.

Harpo

Next time it happens, check your primer ball. A faulty/dirty purge valve inside can cause similar results as you've described. You should really consider adding to your fuel delivery system a canister type water seperating filter as well. (I've had one on every boat I've had, fresh or salt, regardless of engine size.) They are very inexpensive and can eliminate many of the questions you have on fuel quality (water contamination) and will add longevity to your motor. (Two things can kill a two stoke fast; carbon and water.) Good luck!

To add to what Dan said, it isn't just carbon and water that are problems. Carbonated water is a double-killer. HA! I slay me.

i had a 1996 60 hp. i had a similar problem and it took a long time to figure it out, on mine it was the key switch, tracker does not use a merc swith but a knock off, it is actuaully a 3 pice harness, my problem was interminite but i got a new merc harness and it cured it. its easy to check just wiggle the wires and connections.

mike

Back