Mercury 225 EFI questions...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kish2

Reaction score
Its me again with more newbie question.

During the break in period the motor automaticly adjusts the oil levels, from what ive been told. I read in another post that the motor should smoke...alot. Thing is this motor is not smoking. I had a force 125 in my last boat and that thing smoked. This new mercury isnt smoking. Also one time when at 3/4 throttle I heard a short audible tone. I called the dealer, they said not to worry that it should be fine.

What gives.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Bill

I'm guessing that this one is oil injection and the previous one wasn't? My 200 EFI smokes on startup and that's it. Well, I don't turn around and see any when I'm running 60+ anyway :)

Yes my last boat I had to mix the oil & gas together, whilst this new Mercury is oil injected.

In the Force, you were running a 50:1 ratio. In the EFI, you're not. It injects oil as it sees fit. After all, whether you're putting 1 ounce or 4 ounces (yes, I'm using FAKE numbers) of fuel in a cylinder per stroke, you only need the same amount of oil to lubricate.

Actually, I say mine smokes on startup, and I don't know that to even be a fact. I can SMELL the burning oil on startup, but never really paid attention to the smoke. I know it's not horrible or I'd KNOW it smoked :).

My 225 efi likes to smoke. It is a "sometimes" thing. I haven't got it cornered yet but I suspect it has to do with a number of things like if I store the motor on the toter (at an angle)...startup smoke, or how I motor into a fishing spot...full throttle and cut it off or ease my way in. Either way it doesn't bother me cause' it still hauls bass!!LOL!

TOXIC

Back