Merc questions? Motor upgrade & Dealer ideas

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Feist

Reaction score
With PA finally raising the HP ratings on many of the lakes that I fish, I really want to upgrade to a bigger motor (20-25HP) from the 9.9. I fear that a lot of people in PA will be doing the same idea. So, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there were states near-by PA, I'm willing to travel for a good deal, that I may get a better trade on my current 98 Merc.

While I'm on the topic of a trade, will the controls from my current motor work with newer models? If they will, will it save me money by keeping and reusing my current controls?

My current Merc was my first and I'm happy with it. Since it came with the Tracker package, I really had no choice when I bought it. In the past, I have owned Johnson and Evinrude motors and they too were pretty good to me. So, should I look for another totally different motor and get new controls too?

I sort of see myself leaning to the 25HP 2 cycle Merc because it seems to be about the same overall size and shape of the 20HP 2 cycle (which is the legal HP for most lakes that I fish).

Lots of questions. Please share your opinions...

Brian,

I would look at a mercury 4 strokes or Yamaha: they make a 15 and 30 HP

http://www.mercurymarine.com/mercury_30_fourstroke

Yamaha has has a 25 HP

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/subcatinfo.asp?lid=5&lc=otb&cid=19&scid=5&year=2004&cat=Four+Stroke+Series&scat=Portable

I live in Central Illinois(just south of Peoria) and we have a number of lakes in this area that are 25hp limits so you might find some deals in this area. The other side is that Illinois still has 10hp limits on many state parks so you might actually get some trade in value if you find one at a dealer. I will keep an eye/ear out in case I hear of one coming available.

I would not purchase larger motor and change decals, you open yourself up to lawsuite if you have accident and if the County Mounties on the lake check you out.. BIG TICKET and court....it aint worth it...

Changing the numbers on motors has gone on a long time here. That is what makes the 25 Merc look so good to me, it seems to be the EXACT same size as the 20HP. It would be WRONG for me to even consider changing the numbers. Really, Really wrong...

VERY INTERESTING, you are never too old to learn something new

Back