Measure Your Trophy Bass's Mouth

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
I have hesitated to post this because you will probably think it is a lie. Last Saturday I hooked what I think may rival the SC state record for largemouth bass. I think, but don't know, because I didn't land her, in fact I only saw it as close as 20 yards away. It broke the surface, opened it's mouth and with a pro pitcher's arm, threw my rattle trap back at me. All I saw was head and of course an enormous mouth, which my best estimate is 6 to 7 inches accross and the lips looked to be a half inch thick. I measured a 10 and an 11 lb and it doesn't come close. Anyone have a trophy on the wall and would be willing to measure it's mouth and post it?

I just measured one for you, 5 inches across, 9 1/2 lbs. The mouth was pulled open a little funny, so this might make it a little smaller. Caught this one when I was 15 yrs old, rode my bike to the lake, and literally stopped traffic riding it home. Length and girth have a lot more to do with weight than the size of the mouth though. I've seen fish with big mouths and skinny, and smaller mouths with huge bodies.

6" jaw hinge to jaw hinge open is an easy 10+ on a proportionately sized body. Getting the bite and the fight is the bulk of the battle, so consider yourself a winner there!! Better luck next time!! ;)

Latest posts

Back