Maintaining Nitro Fiberglass Hulls?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONAOL

Reaction score
Has anyone used the newer Ceramic coatings to protect the fiberglass hulls? Looking at Turtle Wax Ceramic Hybrid Polish / Wax. Have used it on my SUV and works great beading up water. Contacted Nitro and they could not give me any information on how to maintain the fiberglass hull.

Donaol,

For many years I"ve simply used regular automotive spay on wax or any non abrasive paste wax. I"ve never seen anything better. The Ceramic coatings are expensive and personally I don't think they are all that they are hyped up to be for the cost. Some will say dont wax the bottom, because it will affect your top speed. I doubt that anyone gets to wax the actual performance part of the hull bottom. I do wax the front bottom since it picks up road film from the road and muck at the waterline. Keeping your boat out of unnecessary sunlight and rain is the key to a long and beautiful life. Where we fish here you are gong drag through trees and stumps from time to time and get some scuffs and scratches. Perhaps the ceramic coating would help with that issue but I don't know anyone doing that. The NITRO Plastic lettering and numbers on the side of the boat are easily damaged around trees and stumps. Mine are showing some ware and tare. They can be replaced but I'm over the showroom look boat phase of my life.... safe and troublefree performance is all I'm about now.

Donaol,

For many years I"ve simply used regular automotive spay on wax or any non abrasive paste wax. I"ve never seen anything better. The Ceramic coatings are expensive and personally I don't think they are all that they are hyped up to be for the cost. Some will say dont wax the bottom, because it will affect your top speed. I doubt that anyone gets to wax the actual performance part of the hull bottom. I do wax the front bottom since it picks up road film from the road and muck at the waterline. Keeping your boat out of unnecessary sunlight and rain is the key to a long and beautiful life. Where we fish here you are gong drag through trees and stumps from time to time and get some scuffs and scratches. Perhaps the ceramic coating would help with that issue but I don't know anyone doing that. The NITRO Plastic lettering and numbers on the side of the boat are easily damaged around trees and stumps. Mine are showing some ware and tare. They can be replaced but I'm over the showroom look boat phase of my life.... safe and troublefree performance is all I'm about now.
Thanks for information Larry. Never heard that waxing the hull bottom slows a boat down.

My clear coat finish is starting to peal. Does anyone know of a good DIY product to refinish the clear coat or gel coat.

I use ceramic coatings on my cars, but not the boat. My personal choice for the boat is Meguiars Marine wax. It goes on easy, lasts a long time, and looks great. It also smells really good, too.

I use ceramic coatings on my cars, but not the boat. My personal choice for the boat is Meguiars Marine wax. It goes on easy, lasts a long time, and looks great. It also smells really good, too.
+2 on the Meguiars Marine wax. I waxed the hull back to the leading edge of the outboard trailer bunks. I also wipe the boat down with Lucas Slick Mist as soon as I pull it out of the water.

+2 on the Meguiars Marine wax. I waxed the hull back to the leading edge of the outboard trailer bunks. I also wipe the boat down with Lucas Slick Mist as soon as I pull it out of the water.
Lucas slick mist ? Teach an old dog new tricks, is that a spray wax?

Lucas slick mist ? Teach an old dog new tricks, is that a spray wax?

Tried Turtle Wax Ceramic polish. Used a floor creeper to wax as much of the bottom hull as I could. Only missing whats under the bunks. Will post in the future how it held up.

I used 3M marine restorer and wax, then followed it up with Meguiars. Our water is super hard and it leaves a white film on the black hull. After 2 to 3 months it has to be buffed off then looks like new again.

Hot Sauce is great for removing hard water spotting and scum. I use it every time I pull the boat out of the water … right there in the parking lot. Between it and the Meguiars Marine Wax a few times/year, your hull should look like new for 30 years.

Latest posts

Back