Maiden voyage of new/used boat Thursday....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Fary

Reaction score
If the weather holds as predicted, Thursday will be the maiden voyage of the new/used PT185. Everything is registered and seemingly ready to go. Did some final checks this pm and discovered that the cranking battery was flat DEAD. It is the orginal Interstate battery, so 2 years of life is about all one can expect out of that. So in addition to my rods & tackle, the battery jumper box will be on hand as well.

Went to WalMart and shopped for a new cranking battery. Everstart batteries were the only ones that had. They had so much dust on them, that I didn't bother. Seems the battery was $65 or so? Any recommendations on the Everstart? Said they are the official battery of Ranger, Lund, Hydra Sport and a couple of others. I did a brief search on batteries and saw a few posts. Any quick recommendations?

I will let everyone know how things go on the lake.

Bryan

I have 3 year old Everstar Maxx Marines in my rig as trolling moter batts.....they are still strong. And I use mine a lot....

TOXIC

I havent had an Everstart battery yet that lasted more than 2 years, even with all the maintanance and TLC I could give it, get another brand !

My $.02 worth

Bryan, Sorry that you are having the battery problem. I guess that two years is all that you can really expect from a battery. I should have had the batteries hydro'ed. That battery was on a 1.5 amp maintenance charger all winter.

I guess I take a differing view from others on Everstart batteries, I like them. I really like the yellow Everstart Maxx T/M batteries, but they won't fit in your boat, I tried. If you'll check I believe the T/M battery is a Everstart, the origional Interstate died after a little over a year. I don't like Interstate batteries at all, your right in that is the origional cranking battery. It is also the longest lasting Interstate battery that I have ever owned.

I've always heard great things about AC Delco marine batteries, but they are expensive.

Steve

P.s, If you will check, I think that the warrenty paperwork on the Everstart T/M battery is in the clear "pocket" that is attached to the battery. Not sure if it will ever be of any use to you, but at least you know where it is and the date purchased.

Nah...two years is not really normal unless it's low on water or has a bad cell.

My original 02' crankin' and TM batteries are still goin'...even though I am replacing them this year.

I got 4 years out of my factory batteries, and then replaced with the walmart ones, but sold the boat last summer so don't know how they are holding up.

ENJOY that boat Bryan. Had mine out yesterday for an hour with the boys, we got 3 crappie one that was 15 oz and 13 inches!

Everything is fine Steve. With you keeping the battery on a trickle charge, there is really no way of knowing if it was bad. Don't worry, I am still very pleased with the boat.....Unless it sinks today on it's maiden voyage :unsure: jusk kidding. My previous boat that had Interstate batteries only got 2 years out of them. For some reason, even on a maintanence charger, they wouldn't hold a charge. I believe I am going to get a AC Delco if I can find one in my area. Price is a small price to pay if when you get to the lake, the boat doesn't start!

Bryan

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures Bryan!!!

And change your profile, you are no longer "boatless bank trash!"

Sorry Trep. It is updated now. I will try to get some pictures this pm when I take her to the lake.

Bryan

The Interstate Deep Cycle battery for my PT175 lasted less than two years and load tested bad. Not thrilled, especially when the warranty was pro-rated. Given the price of the new Interstate, even with the pro-rated warranty, it wasn't worth it to me because of the unreliability of the first one. I got a BPS deep cycle. Working great so far. I also got an Everstart battery for my spare trolling motor (transom mount). That's only a few months old so I can't say anything about reliability. If it helps, though, Consumer Reports has been rating Everstart Automotive batteries near the top of their rankings (i.e., number 3), with the Interstates at the bottom of the list.

JC

Back