Lubricate trailer tongue?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg J.

Reaction score
Any of y'all ever apply a light coat of grease to the trailer tongue (where the ball fits)? I figure at least it might help keep rust at bay :unsure:

I do...a very light coat and I keep a cover on it when not in use so ya' don't ruin about 50 pair of pants with grease:p

I do...a very light coat and I keep a cover on it when not in use so ya' don't ruin about 50 pair of pants with grease:p

What the &^%$#@ happened? Somebody slapped me upside the head while I was typin':wacko:

Back In the days that I lubricated my tongue I perfered four or five shots of J B's scotch.

fatrap

I don't lube mine (maybe I should start?), but I do put a cover on it. I use an old bleach bottle with the bottom part cut away. I have a swing away tongue, so after I swing the tongue to one side or the other, I slip the cover over the tongue and plug. Its held in place by a bungee cord from the handle of the bottle around the straight part of the tongue. This also tilts the bottle slightly down so water (e.g., rain) doesn't accumulate.

Gonna have to try the empty bottle trick, thanks. :) . I usually cover the winch/strap with a small sturdy trash bag, tied-off with the bag tie-handles. I figure it keeps the sun/weather from dry-rotting the exposed portion of the strap when the boat is parked for long spells.

Wally world sells Ball lube, might want to give this a try. If your talking about the tongue brake actuator, I use spray silicone and put the red straw between the trailer and the actuator and lube away.

MeBassn

OK am I the only pig here that wants to take this to a lower level....

BF

nope,.................always grease your balls...rust never sleeps,..infact, I'm going to swap mine with a shiney new stainless steel one.....:unsure::blink:

I'm a ball greaser from way back but I am looking into a stainless ball myself. But I will probably grease that also just to reduce friction and wear. I'll discuss tongue care on another post.

Da Bear

I'm a ball greaser from way back but I am looking into a stainless ball myself. But I will probably grease that also just to reduce friction and wear. I'll discuss tongue care on another post.

Da Bear

By all means, grease the old girls tongue, and let her take care of lubing the balls.:p

Now thats funny right there....

I went stainless last year, not rust on my grapes.

Stains where never an issue, is it worth the cost? A little lube and everybody is happy.....:D

BF

Back