Looking to buy

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bennett

Reaction score
I am thinking of downgrading my boat. I have a Sprint 215, that I bought for as a family boat, but they all have lost interest in water fun and I am left to my fishing. This boat is to BIG for me to handle both in and out of the water. I have been looking at the Tracker Pro Team 175 with either a 50 or 60 HP 4 stroke. Don't know what they will give me for mine. Any comments on the PT175 boat that I should watch out for?

Bob, I have a PT-17 and love it. I have the 40hp on it and had I not found a great deal when I bought it, I would have a bigger motor. I also don't fish BIG water or I would have a bigger boat. There are a lot of owners here with similar rigs and I am sure they'll jump in.

Welcome, Bill

Bob,

Most of the tracker locations will give about 70% of wholesale on a non tracker boat. It's hard to trade a boat that the company is out of business, it's tough on the customer, but unfortunately that's the way it is.

Welcome Bob......glad you made it over here. These are the guys you ask for opinions and information about Tracker products. You will find someone that can answer almost any question about these rigs.

I've already given you my views on Tracker and I suspect they reflect the opinions of most of these Tracker owners.........just a fine fishing rig.

Bob: what kind of water do you normaly fish ? I have a pro 165 that I have had for over a year with no real problems, the water I fish is heavley boated and I have found that the 165 is big enough for me and a friend to fish out of . I have a 25 on it and it pushes it as fast as I want to go ( up to 20 +). I fish with a lot of guys with all types of boats and I think that mine is one of the nicer along with being a lot cheeper and more econopic to run. Any questions just ask.

I fish the lakes in and around the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. These lakes do get a little rough when the wind picksup. I am concerned about the 6'11" beam as to the stability of the boat. My Sprint is 100". Yes, I understand the problem of a boat from a company that has gone under. Would the 50 HP push the PT 175 without and problems. The 50 is a Merc 4 cycle.

Thanks for your information and help.

Bob,

We've owned our PT175 since last October, and although first time boat owners we find it great for us. It handles fairly well in light chop, and the 50hp gets it going when needed, but we're happy with it. We don't race from hole-to-hole and enjoy taking our time. Being it's aluminum the wind does push it around at slow/idle speed. Other than that, we like it :D

'05%20PT175.JPG

Bob, remember the basser's rule about horsepower: Some's good, more's better, and too much is just enough. If you can get the 60 HP that's the engine. Four strokes are a little heavier and the step up from 50 to 60 is a good move. My .02.

Da Bear

First Bob - WELCOME!!!!

Second - Its all about what YOU want! I am into the begining of year 6 with my Pro Crappie 175 (Same hull as the PT 175) with a 40 2 stoke. Boat is a BREEZE for one person to handle on/off the trailer. I've fished mine everything from the Chatahoocie river, Lake Allatoona, Lake Lanier and even WON (Ok i'll make everyone see the picture again :cool:) the last NTOWS rally on Kentucky Lake in it and a heavy chop/wind crossing the main lake.
2004%20April%2017%20Rally%20Big%20Fish%20for%20web.jpg

Sure, i'd LOVE a 75 hp on it and am considering upgrading next summer, but the 40 pushes my 175 to 29-31 depending on load/conditions.

I've been looking at 'glass fish/skis (perish the though oh Tin owners) since there not any true Fish/Ski in aluminium, other then the Deep V ones), but i've not yet found a better all around boat for the kind of fishing/lakes I fish. Sure, i'm NOT going out on the main lake with a 30 mph wind and 5 foot rollers, that would be stupid!!

Trep

Hey Bob!

Welcome. I have the PT175 (MY 2002) with a 40hp 2 stroke (MY 2003). I take mine out on the Potomac river near the DC area and the creeks further south. The boat handles fine up to waves with white caps just starting to show. It can handle more, but I don't like pushing it. I like to think I have a very healthy respect for the power of water.

As a first time boat owner (but not first time operator), I've been very happy with the set up. My top speed is a bit less than Treps in that I max out at 25 mph. Of course I also installed a Mac's River Runner prop and skeg guard that took about 2 to 3mph off my top end. Small price to pay to protect the lower end from the shallow parts of the Potomac river. Sometimes I wish I had gotten the bigger motor (like an Etec 75 hp!!). But I digress.

Good advice from the posters above. Most important, look at YOUR needs and decide what's best for YOU. Me, I like the PT175 because of its ease of handling, durability (I don't mind beaching on concrete ramps or the occasional bump up against the dock), and economy of both purchase price and operation. It works where I fish.

Good luck!

LOOKS LIKE i AM GOING TO KEEP THE DECK BOAT. THE DEALER AND I COULD NOT COME TO TERMS. THE SPRINT ISN'T ON A RESALE LIST THEY USE ON TRADE-INS. THEY WOULDN'T EVEN GIVE ME AN IDEA OF WHAT THE SPRINT IS WORTH. GUESS I'LL RUN IT TILL DEATH DO PART.

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE INFORMATION YOU HAVE FURNISHED. I'LL KEEP READING POSTS ON THIS WEB.

Back