looking for a digital camera

• Thread starter Thomas Macaluso
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Macaluso

Reaction score
I finally decided to break down and get a digital camera . Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for in one . I don

Tommac, I have a Kodak Easyshare and a Cannon and both are very easy to use. If your going to by one get one that is at least 5.0 megapixels. Today's digital camera's are as easy to use as a 35MM execept you don't have to buy any film. Also get one that zooms.....Al.

Tom,

I got my Kodak @ Target for about $120, great Digital Camera, If you get the additional memory card you can hold 300 pictures. Give me a call and I can tell you the model, or I will call you, I need to ask you soemthing about how you keep your engine over the winter.

CJL

Get one with the optical zoom, not just the digital zoom.The digital zoom dosen't really do anything but make the picture on the screen a little bigger.

Steve

I started with a Cannon Power Shot. great starter camer. Just point and shoot. even my wife could use it.:cool:

cq

We've got an HP something-or-other that is fantastic! I've got an OLD digi-cam that's about 1/100th of a megapixel (LOL!) that is barely worth the price of the AAA batteries it takes to power it. (But I can leave it in the boat and not be too concerned.) For a couple hundred bucks, there are some great combos that come with a printer. That's how our HP came last year.

you can't go wrong with a nikon, the they are pretty cheap, check ebay

When I was doing my researching all the camera guys in the know told me to go with Canon. They told me for the point and shoot camera's they had the best lenses out there for the money. Also, I agree that you need to make sure you are getting a decent amount of optical zoom. Mine has 3x but I wish I had a bit more. Finally, the megapixels are the last major thing to think about. I was told that 4 mega pixels are good for about and 8 x 10 maybe a little smaller. If you are going to be printing out larger pictures or if you want to zoom in further while you are cropping on your computer you might want to go bigger. That being said, it seems like 5 megapixels is about the standard today. Hope this helps.

I have two - an Olympus Stylus 300 and a Canon EOS 20D

The Olympus is a great camera for outdoorsmen since it is weather resistant. Before digital, I used a Pentax 105WR which is waterproof down to 6ft i think. All I know is I dropped the Pentax in the Kenai river several times without any damage and have taken pictures in the pouring rain with the Olympus without any problems.

The Canon EOS 20D is the ultimate 35mm digital, but it's expensive and you can't take it out in the rain..

I understand Pentax is making their WR series in a digital model now. IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Olympus or the Pentax for outdoor use...

The Canon or any of the high end 35mm digtals are a no-brainer if you need that level of capability...

I have two camera's Olympus C-5060 and Canon SD400 U can not wrong with either company.

X

If you don't need or want to print the pics get the best you can get for what you want to spend. I guess you can buy them anywhere from $20.00 to $2,000.00 It's all in what you want. My Sony is way over kill for a boat camera and if it gets wet it's toast. $ for $ I like the disposable cameras and if they survive have a disc made?

BF

There are a lot of good cameras out there. The key from what i have read and seen is the optics. I did a lot of research when i bought mine two years ago and i ended up with a cannon a70 3.2 megapixel. It takes a fantastic picture, they print fantastic too on my canon i950 printer. 3.2 is good for up to 8.5x11 anything bigger and you need more megapixels. I used a few sites when i did my camera research. I was looking for good picture quality at a modest price. These sites helped me a lot in finding the right camera for me.

http://www.dcresource.com/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Get one with the highest optical zoom you can afford. I have 10x optical and it seems about right. Don't go any lower. 3.2 megapixel is fine for the size pictures you may be printing out. This will be good for up to a 8.5 x 11 which is as big as most home printers will accomodate.

I have a Kodak Easyshare with about 4.0 megapixels. I have it set to record at 3.2. Most people don't need the 5.0 (or higher setting). This is very much backed up by my son, who is a professional photographer.

My library has 'several' from the canada trip last fall. Take a look.

Tex

Tom,

Forgot to call you back yesterday after you called sorry, to many visitors and too many rum& cokes, LOL.

CJL

PS, I did try calling your cell today but the call would not go through, have you changed carriers, Can you hear me know, LOL

No chris

I'll try and call you tuesday night . I'm going out for a few beers tonight . Let me know what time would be good

I just bought a Minolta X1 today 8 megapixels..300.00 Nice small camera...I have a cannon A 70 Ireally like but It's bigger and not aas easy to carry..I recommend you go at least 5.0 Megs......JR

We are one our 7th digital camera (none ever broke so do NOT waste $$ on extended warranties!!0, the best yet is the Cannon 4800 (4 megapixel 8x optical zoom) my wife researched for 6 months and bought last year.

There are SOOO many to choose from, it realy depends on what you want it for? Internet pictures? Printing? size of prints? a 3-4 megapixel is perfect for 4X8 prints, and agree with everyone that says you need at least 3x optical zoom lens. 5-6 megapixel camera's are realy only need if you are going to print much larger 8x10 or bigger prints AND you want to be able to crop a section of a larger print. But you also need to look at the refresh rate, a lot of the cameras on the high end of megapixels but low end of price may take 5-20 seconds to refresh after it takes it, that means NO fast action shots.

I just bought a DVD Camecorder for the holidays and it rocks!!

Oh do you want it for the boat? If so i'd strongly recommend a relatively cheap one (2-3 megapixes for well under $100), so if you get it wet, ruin it or drop it overboard you have no problems. I have a 3 megapixel on the boat (2 years old my wife bought for $50 on Black Friday).

I agree with alot that has been said already. My thought is that it depends on what you are going to use it for. I have one that I use for fishing and another for family etc photos. The fishing one is a Sony 3 megapixel with digital zoom that I paid like $80 for. I typically don't like or use digital zoom, but... when taking a picture of a fish, I rarely have to zoom in, if anything, I need to get further away. I am very iimpressed with the quality of my pics coming from this camera.

with that said, if you are looking for a digital camera for fishing only, don't worry about all the bells and whistles. Just look for something with at least 3 megapixels and that has a timer so you don't need another person to take the mug shot. i usually watch the sunday circulars for one that is under $100, and I believe I saw one this week in Electronics Expo if there is one near you. Let me know if you want me to look it up to give you the details.

Good luck.

Craig,

I hope that you see this. I passed on the link you posted above to my son. He called tonight. Before I pass on some info, I need to set this disclaimer.

I have no knowledge of your profession, photography interest or experience. If you have the background and experience and have made your decision, so be it. That being said, this is my son's opinion.

The camera you are looking at is produced for studio quality photography. If you do not have a studio, nor doing studio quality shoots, then you will be spending quite a bit more than you will likely ever get out of that camera. Another item is that you will also need to purchase one or more lens for this camera. You should be willing to spend probably another 3-4K to get the quality of lens that will support the camera.

My son got to shoot a Fuji S3 last year. That's the camera that he would buy if he sold all his other equipment.

Again, not trying to change your mind, but my son is 'heavy into this professionally'. One of the items that his company/partner is developing is a true 3d digital camera. I saw it in Dallas over Thanksgiving. His partner does 3d imaging work for Homeland Security.

Let me know if you want to 'chat' or talk with him about cameras, and I'll put you in touch.

Tex

Thanks Tex. Some background...

I have, in the recent past, done extensive work as a photographer for a local Major Junior A hockey team ( the same league the NHL drafts the majority of it's players from), both for promotion and web use. Since getting married 5+ years ago, I've gotten away from it. I've had some inquiries lately regarding my intrest level in getting back "into the game". I already have good glass (70-200 f2.8, 135 f2.0) and access to the really good stuff (200 f1.8 and 400 f2.8), but everyone wants digital now, so my N1 and A2 Canons would need to be replaced. I've looked at the 20D from Canon as well, but if I'm going to do this, I'll need the features and ruggedness of the 1D Mark II.

Craig,

If you are interested, might I suggest that you talk to my son. If nothing else, it may well give you some additional information regarding where the industry is at/going/etc. Let me know if you have that interest.

Tex

Craig, for the money and intended use is the Cannon is an excellent choice. My only comment for you is that when we went digital all of our exisiting Nikon lenses would only work on manual thus we have now bought all new lenses with the virbration reduction (VR) and S features and as you already know that each lense can cost more then the camera body. I own a photography business and we have 2 Nikon D100s and a Nikon D2X we picked up two weeks ago.

Tex, the camera industry is changing just as fast as the PC industry, if there is a 3D camera on the way then that would be a nice added feature. You can buy a 3D kit now for $129 it was just a matter of time before someone got smart and added to the camera, kudos for your son, I hope he does well with the product.

Cass :D

Cass,

What type of photography business (studio by chance)? I may have something for you to look at, that could boost your bottom line. It's what my son is working on now. Let me know.

Tex

Back