Looking at a new boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald Morin

Reaction score
Looking into a new PT175 extra wide. Have an old skeeter now. Want something light and new. Should I be worried about anything?

I have a 2001 PT-185. My only problems are that it gets blown around by the wind like a leaf and I am now out growing the storage. I remember the salesman telling me when I bought it that I ran out of storage then I was carrying around too much crap...but I can't seem to thin it out. If I carry my 7 everyday rods and my son is with me with his 4 we are packing rods very carefully. When I bought the boat I thought that 50 hp would be all the power I'd ever need, and for most of the small lakes I fish it is adequate. However, if I could re-power I would love to hang 90 or 115 on it.

I am kicking around the idea of selling it and moving into a glass boat in case you're interested.

Harpo

I got a like new Ranger Fisherman for sale...JR:)

I got a pt 190/90 and love it. I only wish it had a second console/windshield for my son. It does move some when the wind blows hard but well worth the trade of being light while towing. being light it saves gas on the water and while towing.

Thanks, I really like the good replies. My '87 Skeeter is just too heavy and old. I think the Tracker should handle the wind because it is wider. I'm still lookoing for Tracker owners to let me know how the quality is and how the Mercury outboards are. I presently have a Suzuki.

had a 2002 pt 175 YOU WILL get blown around on windy days, being wider has nothing to do with it. its the 600 lbs or so lighter thats the reason . but than again i got blown around a little today on johns lake and im heavy

Just max the HP and TM and you'll be happy:cool:

Make dang sure you find the BEST local dealer;)

Don - I had a 2000 PC 175 with a 40 merc, LOVED the boat, ran great, fished amazing, handled better then any aluminium boat i've been in, sold it in 2005 only because I got a great deal on my Nitro 700lx and needed a Dual Console boat for my fishing partner (7 yearold son) during Striper season!!

I had an amazing dealer here in the north Atlanta area.

Trep

Back