Looking at a 2001 Nitro this week... any tips?

• Thread starter Jon Prisbe [URL]http://lansing.craigslist.org/boa/
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Prisbe

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning on looking at a 2001 NX 750 this week. (See link)

Having never owned a Nitro before and am interested in your opinions.

I used to own a BassTracker Pro16 back in the 80's but haven't fished much since 1990.

Looking to get back into it now.

Jon
http://lansing.craigslist.org/boa/1055828695.html

As a fishing platform I think that the 750 is a very nice boat. That 67-lb thrust TM should serve you well. I think the 75 HP will move the boat nicely but do not expect rocket launch takeoffs particularly with gas and more than one fat ass in the boat. On big lakes with lots of chop or high rollers you will not be well served in this boat at WOT, but it will get you home as cautious speeds.

As a frame of reference, I own a 2001 750 with a 90HP and 55-lb thrust TM.

I trust that 75 is a typo. These normaly come with a 90 with 115 as an upgrade. Mine (05 750 dual console)has a 90, and it's a but under what I'd like, but on plane is OK (It "ain't gonna" give anybody whiplash) or win any spped records. I think mine maxes out around 40mph though the speedometer says 47. The boat is a bit strange until you get used to trimming it as you take off. It kind of spooked me when I first got it, but I love the boat now once I learned how to drive it.

I just sold my 750 with a 115hp. I loved the boat. Never had an issue with it! I would think a 75hp might be a bit underpowered.

Thanks for the input.

I was thinking a 75 (if it is a 75) might be a bit too small myself. I will primarly be fishing the local river and it's bayous. Not too many big lakes around me, at least not like the resevoirs I used to fish when I lived in Kansas. There is Lake Michigan though, which I plan to stay clear of anyway.

In 2001 the standard was 75; 90 was an upgrade.

Yes, my experiences are based on fishing MO and KS big resevoirs. 75 is a no-no and the 90 is okay to help cover distances faster. Also keeps me from going goofy in less than clam conditions.

I have the 2003 NX750 with the 90 Merc and if I was fishing smaller protected waters the 75 might be okay. I like the way the boat fishes, and handles the rough water pretty well with a bit of caution. The depth of the boat from top cap to the keel makes a big difference.

I am like Marty, I like the way it runs on a calm day. I still want to get more, but I have run 48 on the GPS, I need to see 50!

What are you guys talking about, the add says "750 HP Mercury engine" that thing will FLY with 750HP!!!! LOL

I've got the little brother, the 700lx, with the 115 Merc. The question if I were in your shoes would be:

1) how long do you expect to keep the boat? As others have said the 75 was the base engine a while back, and it was upgraded to a 90 as standard, I assume it was due to the 75 being a tad bit too little motor for a boat rated for 135hp. If you plan to keep it for 2-3 years, and realize you may have a problem selling it quickly with that sized motor, then think about it.

2) See how it planes now, you might want to drop down in pitch to get a better holeshot, but realize your top end will suffer. I'd figure mid-40's at best on a good day. If that speed is good for you, and you don't want to go faster, think about it.

3) I notice it has a hydrofoil on the motor, probably due to the holeshot of that motor on that boat.

4) That initial asking price seems high in this market, If you decide the boat/HP meets your need (my first real boat was a 17ft Tracker with a 40hp which was rated for a 75hp max HP) then offer low, and if you can get it around 6k i'd say you are doing good.

bought a 2001, nx750 dc just last summer, 115hp, $8200 out the door if that helps. love the boat and it works great in the inland waters of michigan. Gotta try st. clair this year.

Latest posts

Back