Look what the crankbait brought in!

• Thread starter Jeff R. [URL]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/13465
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff R.

Reaction score
I was fishing a pond Tuesday night and having a good time catching bass with the Bandit crankbait when this guy decided he wanted it. I saw him right after he took it but it was a good 5 minutes before I ever saw him again. Man, what a fight they put up. Now I want to try to catch another one but don't know the first thing about catfishing! He weighed 9.8 pounds.
http://www.zjstech.net/~library/13465/100_1778.jpg

When they grab a crankbait, they sure aren't interested in coming aboard or ashore are they? Nice cat!

WOW Jeff!! I've had about a 4-5 lber of that type and a almost 10lb flat head hit my cranks, GREAT fights and even better deep fried with Habenero sauce!!! MMMMMM

Nice cat .. :D... I hate when they tumber .. try chicken livers if you want to catch more of the wiskers

Nice cat Jeff !!!

I caught a 3 lb'der yesterday on a buzz bait and a 55-65 lb flathead a couple of months ago on a black and yellow TIKI worm !! :D

Must be the yr. of the cats for hitting lures. :unsure:

Warm up the fryers!! :p

Steve ><}}}}'>

Hi Billy. I was using a 300 series Bandit crankbait on 8 pound line on a medium action All Star rod....my usual cranking rig. I was literally chasing after him with the trolling motor because he was close to spooling me after I softened up the drag to keep the line from breaking. Just about the time I thought I was gonna see him coming up he would take another dive and I would have to start all over. It was some of the best 5 minutes I have ever had since I've been fishing, what a blast! I rarely will bring a fish home to clean unless it is a walleye or some nice crappie or bluegill but this guy filled 2 freezer bags with filets and will probably fry some of him up tomorrow night. I go in for shoulder surgery next Monday so this is a nice way to end my fishing season for this year.

I didn't mess with skinning him. I just used the old traditional filet method and it worked really well. I didn't have much waste at all. I always thought their skin would be too tough to filet that way but it was very easy to do. It was pretty cool the next morning I found a huge crawdad that was in his belly laying in my driveway where I cleaned him. I have never seen any crawdads at that pond but now I know they are there and I am sure the bass are liking them too. As far as my surgery goes, I have a torn bicep longhead which is where it attaches to the bone on top of your shoulder and also a torn labrum around the socket. It looks like a 12 week recovery so that will be about it for my summer. I'm gonna try to fish a lot this week if time permits and get in as much as I can and maybe I will catch a nice big fat bass to give me something to remember until next spring. I might even go back to the pond and try for some more catfish! Jeff

Back