Long Learning Curve..Garmin Map 176 GPS

• Thread starter Greg Meyer [URL]http://www.nsbass.com[/URL]
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Texas Transplant asked about how I liked the Garmin Map 176 GPS. I have it mounted in my truck...pretending I am fishing steep banks and humps on major expressways! I have the Streets and roads CD and the Fishing Hot Spots CD with the all regions unlock code. I haven't even begun to play with the maps...first time will be Saturday when I fish the Wisconsin opener on Lake Geneva...

If anybody has one of these I would greatly appreciate some feedback and help. If I could operate it as well as the salesm,an at BPS, I'd be fantastic...

Check out our club website for fun bass quizzes and games
http://www.nsbass.com

Thought I would update on the "financial" side of the Fishing Hot Spots Map CD...since I still don't know much about using this thing.

When I purchased the GPS, I also purchased the Fishing Hot Spots Map CD...about $100 at BPS. The CD has all the info for the whole US, but it is divided into regions (15, I think, for example Wisconsin is a region, Minnesota is another region, Missouri and Iowa are another, etc...across the country. When you purchase the CD you get one "UNLOCK CODE" that is good for one region. You must use that code to get the first region of your choice (I chose Wisconsin). Then you may purchase additional regions (I would have wanted at least four more) for a little less than $100 each...or you can purchase the "all regions" unlock code for $175...in addition to the cost of the CD and the first unlock code...(a total for all regions of about $275)...so if only one region interests you just get the CD and unlock your region (also go to Garmins website and get the free update)...two regions buy one additional...but if you need three or more regions get the "all regions" unlock code. It starts to get a bit "pricey"...

But, I thought everyone (actually anyone trying to make an intelligent decision about GPS and mapping software) could benefit from my "experience".

I am going to download the maps into my spare laptop. Then transfer the data on specific maps to the additional memory modules you also need...starting at 16 meg for $70 each...more "pricey" up to 128meg modules at $350 each! Supposedly each 16 meg module will hold 2 lakes and they are reusable (I'll let everybody know)... Anyway this quickly became a $1000 "unit" instead of the original "sticker" of $500...

Yes Greg, in an earlier post I mentioned that I had loaded FHS on my Garmin 168 Map/Sounder. As I said then, and still believe, is that FHS is just not worth it. The information is not only dated but not of much value. Because of the high detail, it takes a long time to redraw the map every time you zoom or move the cursor. The one thing I did like was the contour lines. The only problem is that if you reduce the detail to make the map redraw faster, the first thing to go is the contour lines. Maybe it will work better on the 176, but for me I find it's much better to have a good up to date contour map and just use the Lights & Waterways data. Garmin also uses a proprietary memory module which is very expensive. It seems to me that they should have used a standard flash card which is about $100 for 250 meg. Another thing you should consider (from a friend that uses the 176) is a USB card reader, because it takes about 1/2 hour to move 16 meg worth of map through the serial port (another Garmin proprietary device which is about $75). You can buy a flash card reader for about $20. Go figure.

Russ

Greg, forgot to mention. Garmin will allow 2 unlock codes per user, so I split the cost with a friend who I fish with. That makes it easier for us to share the same maps with notes & waypoints.

Russ

Okay....

I selected and downloaded the streets and roads data for my trip over the weekend to northern Wisconsin...

I was more than impressed with the data that transferred to the GPS...The detail is fantastic and although I was very familiar with the route I saw first hand how helpful and useful this feature could be. If I learn to use the "route" software I should be good to go anywhere in the US. Basically the GPS plots your current position against a data base of roads streets and highways, down to county roads and addresses!!!

More to come on the Fishing Hot Spots Maps feature this weekend when I fish one of the lakes in the Fishing Map Data Base

Back