LOCKS,,,,,,again

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Moore

Reaction score
Since the topic of locks came up again, I thought I'd share an idea that came to me when I didn't have a secure place (garage) to store my boat. I don't again LOL. This also works great if you put the boat in a slip for vacation, rally tournament, etc. My TV-18 trailer has a swing away tongue. Go to Wallyworld, Lowes, and pick up one of the round locks that you use for a self storage building. Swing the tongue out and put the lock on the upper or lower tab that the pin goes through. I also use a coupling lock. You can't stop'em but you can make it more difficult. Hope it helps some of ya.

Bruce

GREAT idea Bruce! Thanks!!

I had a huge padlock that wouldn't fit anything, but it'll fit my trailer. THANKS!!!

Good idea Bruce but I don't have a swingaway trailer tongue. Some years ago a friend of mine came in from fishing and his trailer was GONE. Good grief, can you even imagine the feeling?

I use a large padlock on the coupler but wish I could find one of those "boots" that police departments use for illegal parking:)

If I can't leave my boat hooked up to my truck, I put a tow ball, that I cut the threads off of, into the coupler and lock that in place. I don't know if that's any better but it just seems more sturdy and gives me a little piece of mind.

Bill

Bill, I used to do the same thing until I realized how easy it is to use a socket to remove the plate that locks the lower side of the ball on the coupling. Then it's just a matter of sitting it on the ball of the "getaway vehicle" and vamoosing. Look at BPS online or marine catalog at the modified version of what you do. It is a 2" ball with a saucer sized base on it that covers up all of the underside of the coupling mechanism. Stinkin' crooks can't get to it to loosen anything.

Bruce

Latest posts

Back