locker and storage lid insulation

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Yeaton

Reaction score
Does anybody know where I can get insulation for the lids that are coming through on the new boats, specifically the Nitros? I'd like to insulate my lids since the get real hot in the summer.

I'll be doing the same to mine this winter...I purchased some closed cell foam sleeping pads used by backpackers..picked them up at a local camping store. They were very cheap (5.99 each) and are about 5'X 3', I will be cutting them to size. I wanted to use closed cell foam because it does'nt absorb water resulting in mildew problems.

I was thinking you could use tool box linner. Sear sells it by the roll. You know the padded closed cell foam that you can put in the bottom of mechanic tool box drawers.

I know what you guys mean. I've actually burned myself when opening the aluminum lids on a hot summer day. I want to insulate mine as well.

Make sure that what ever you select has a high enough temperature rating so that it doesn't melt and create a gooy mess inside your rod lockers.

Make sure the adhesive is rated high enough as well. I bought some velcro this summer to hold my Golden Rule culling board to my lid. The first hot day the velcro peeled of because the adhesive couldn't take the high temp.

Good point Marke, those lids do get mighty hot!

Hey Bruce..how's it goin'? I found some 1" marine foam at my local dealer and did just that. I have to get a digital camera...I also reinforced the center and rod locker lids with 1/4" aluminum riveted to help. Works great...I plan on borrowing my daughter's camera so I can get into the grab bag. Those lids didn't even really handle a guy like me and I only weigh about 170..

TEE

Hey TEE, borrow that camera!

I'm surprised to hear about the lids up front, I don't have any trouble with mine. Glad to hear the support worked for you though.

My bad..you have the TV18..I have the 185 XT..sorry.

TEE

Not a problem TEE.

Mine do bend a little, and the back ones for the storage bins are the worst. How bad are yours that you needed to support them?

The front dry storage had a pretty wide lid and was pretty springy...I took a piece of 1/4 aluminum and made it as big as the underside would allow without interfering with the outside lip and cut the center out for the small tackwelded factory support(didn't want to remove that) and used heavy duty pop rivets on the out side and inside corners. I used a small dab of silicone on the rivet heads and used round slugs of carpet I cut out and covered the rivets. Can't tell where they was and no leaks either. It's a lot stronger now.....was worse when stood right in the center.

TEE

Back