Livewell Problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Balch

Reaction score
The livewell on my 2004 PT175 does not hold water when I put the manual drain switch (the one that slides between empty and auto and is mounted on the starboard side) on auto. I have solved the problem by plugging the bottom drain with a rubber stopper to hold the water. water is pumped in and pushed out through the over flow tube.

Would it be very difficult to access the the switch beneath the bottom drain? I'm inclined just to continue using my drain plug rather than beginning a major plumbing job.

Bill

Sorry to piggy back Bill, so maybe I'll ask you. I have never had to use my livewell. This may sound like a silly question but, when in use, should the bottom plug be in or out?

I also have a 2004 PT175. If the console is the same the switches should be labeled AUTO and MAN.

In the MAN position the pumps will run continuously. In the AUTO mode, the pumps stay on for about one minute and off for about three mintues.

Here is how the livewell works (I'm doing this from memory so I might get the switch names wrong). The plug must be in the bottom to hold water. You remove the plug to let the livewell drain when you trailer the boat.

The livewell has two modes of operation. One will pump water in and out of the livewell,the other mode will recirculate the water.

There should be two outlets in the top of the livewell. A small black one behind the drivers side and a large white one on the passenger side. When the recirculation pump is on the water will be drawn out the the livewell through the inlet at the bottom and come out of the white outlet. This function is used only to aereate the water, I think the switch is labeled "RECIRC".

The other switch will pump outside water into the livewell through the black outlet. There is a drain hole at the top of the livewell for overflow.

To drain the livewell you turn on the recirc pump and pull on the white outlet, this will pump water out of the livewell. This will still leave the a small amout of water in the bottom.

Make sure to keep the screen over the pump inlet clean.

Like I said, I'm doing this from memory but those are the basics.

Hope it has helped.

Back