live wells

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe G

Reaction score
hey yall im having a problem of keeping my fish has healhy as i would like till weigh in time. 5 fish close to and any thing over 14 lbs is about where it starts a problem they start getting white looking. i have a pt 175 2002 i know its a small live well i think 11 gallons question?? how much would a small stone airetor help or should i look into getting a larger live well to put in the boat. then the question of weight and difficulty to install. always have this problem this time of year weights being higher then the summer. it took 28 lbs to win this past weekend and if that was me i have no idea where i would have put those fish ... thanks for any ideas ....joe

You'll never keep all 5 fish alive if you have anywhere near 20 lbs. in a livewell that small....I don't have an answer for ya.

If the well is 11 gallons when it's full, then you have roughly 90 lbs of water in there. Adding 20 lbs. of fish will displace 20 lbs. of water, thus leaving roughly 8 gallons of water, or approx. 1.5 gallons per fish.

Now imagine trying to keep a 5 pound fish alive and kicking for hours in a gallon and a half size container and you will see the effects of stress....white, dead fish.

You need constant aeration to add oxygen, and fresh water to remove carbon dioxode and ammonia, but even with that, 20lbs of bass in your 11 gallon well just ain't gonna fit.

They'll be hitting the sides, the floor and each other....too much stress.

I wouldn't fish a tourney in that boat if you're gonna routinely catch 20lbs or more...it's just not fair to the fish.

I use bassmedics rejuvenade. It is a different approach than please release me additives. thats a start.

When I have large fish or a limit constantly recirculate the water buy running the fill pump constantly putting fresh water in.

I just wish I could put 20lbs in my livewell consistently ! :(

joe

When I owned a PT175, I used the front compartment (plastic lined) as a second livewell. Just get a portable aerator with long enough leads to reach the battery, or convert the wiring to accept the 12v cig. lighter. I also carried a 60qt cooler to act as the 2nd.

Even my TV-18 only has a 22 gal well, so I made a portable well to have on the boat just incase.

Back