Live Well Problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudofbass

Reaction score
ok folks, here is the deal. I have a 2001 640 LX and my live well has a mind of its own. I have the electrical switch on the dash and the auto/empty switch by the throttle. I believe this is correct. (let me know if it is not. I bought the boat used with no manuals) The electrical live well switch has 3 position up=on down=auto/timer and middle is off, right?

This switch lights up when in the up or down position, but I do not "hear" the pump running, yet about 3-5" of water will fill the live well when auto/empty switch near the throttle is in the auto position, and the water will drain when I turn it to empty.

1st..why am I getting any water at all if the pump is not running?

2nd..Is my pump "broke" or is it clogged up?

3rd..What is this white PVC pipe hanging down from the top of live well and should I adjust it?

4th..Is there a certain way I should position both switches? I know the one by the throttle has to be in the auto position to hold water, but why have 2 diff. "auto" switches?

Please explain this operation to me in detail. I am really lost, and my local dealer is more lost than I am. He is only familiar with the Z series, Which doesnt help me UGH!!!

Thank you for your quick response and time.

Love my Nitro!!

I have a 1999 640 but can't be much help. I also get a couple of inches of water in without the pump on. Not enough to bother me though. My manual switch works fine but even though the light goes on for the auto position, the pump doesn't. So far all I have heard is bs from the people I have had look at it.

I eneded up getting a $20.00 airator pump at Walmart and connected it to my cranking battery. I pump water in every so often and the rest of the time I use the aerator.

cloudofbass, Let me try to explain what's happening. Bear with me as this will be s/w long.

Your 3 position switch on the dash is indeed how you describe. If in "on" position, it would run the pump continuosly. "Off" is just that; OFF. And, "auto/timer" is the pump runs intermittently (timer). It works in conjunction with the "auto/empty" switch by the throttle. It is possible that the dash switch would light up and not have the pump run. That indicates the switch is getting power from the fuse block but, pump or wiring to pump is bad. If the pump is newer, it would likely be a cartridge type. This allows for it to stay mounted and twist off the top to clean out. Check that. If it's an older version (no twist off top), I'd replace it. New ones come with needed wiring.

You also have a 2-way valve the pump connects to. This valve actually allows the pump to fill or empty the livewell. The "auto/empty" switch position determines what operation it does (fill or empty). These valves do go bad or get clogged. Test it by pouring water into the livewell and have the switch in the "auto" position. If it holds water that way, then emptys when moved to empty, it's working properly.

The way to use your livewell for keeping water in is to set the dash switch to "on", place the "auto/empty" switch to auto. This fills (and keeps filling) your livewell. You can also place the dash switch to "auto/timer" position to allow it to stay full and just pump in fresh water intermittently (while the "auto/empty" switch remains in auto position). Anytime you want to drain the livewell you just move the "auto/empty" switch to empty. Obviously, turn off dash switch.

Now, if you're getting water in the livewell 3" to 5" at all times, it is because your "auto/empty" switch is either in auto position (allows to back fill from water level of boat's intake) or, 2-way valve is not functioning correctly.

The white PVC pipe hanging down (in) the livewell is the filling tube where the water being pumped in is entering. No adjustment necessary. Except it may have a valve at top to restrict flow at that point. Best to leave full open if it has one.

I've included pictures to show the pump and 2-way valve. I really hope this explains it and sorry for the long post.

livewell pump.jpg

2-way valve.jpg

firedog978... Thank you very much! The long post was perfect, and good detail. Very helpful.

Latest posts

Back