Live Well Help

• Thread starter Michael Rogillio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would be much appreciative to anyone that can school me on the operations of my livewell. It's my first real tournament rig with all the bells and whistles. 2000 Nitro 901, it has the guardian livewells. need help understanding the sequence in putting a livewell in service and the particulars on when and how to circulate, valve positioning, etc. thanks in advance.

When you get ready to run and want to keep a light load and no water, put the valve switch to "recirc". This closes the valve to outside water.

When you get ready to put fish in the livewell, switch the valve control to "Auto" or "fill". I'm not sure what it says on the Nitros now. But it's the only other one from "Recirc" This will allow it to open up to pull watet in. Then put your aerator switch (toggle switch) to "Fill" or "manual". Again, not sure of the nomenclature, but it should read one of those.

Once it's full, switch the toggle switch (not the valve) to recirc. It will pump fresh water (because your valve is still on "fill" or "auto") every minute or so. You should have a timer that allows you to adjust the frequency and duration of the cycle. I always max mine for the health of the fish.

Whenever you get ready to run, switch the valve control to "recirc" to hold the water in or else it will drain while you run. This closes the system off to outside water. Since my toggle stays on all day, I don't have to turn it back on, but during runs, I switch mine (the toggle switch) to "Auto" or "Manual" so that it recircs constantly during any run and keeps O2 in the water. I also use a bilge plug to stop up the overflow in the livewell so no water runs out.

Then once you get to your next spot again, switch the valve back to "auto" or "fill" to bring in fresh water, and the toggle switch to "recirc" so you don't kill your battery.

Now a few tips:

If you're catching fish up shallow in muddy, warm water, when you run to another spot or to weigh in, it's always good to stop out in the middle of the lake where the water is the coolest, cleanest, and most O2 rich and fill the wells with that water. It's better for the fish.

If you have good cool water with release agent in it and run to warmer water, that you don't plan on being in for more than a few hours, it may be best to NOT switch to outside water and just keep recircing whats already in there. Make sense?

A lot will depend on how many fish you have in the wells and the size. Say you have just a limit for you of 5 small keepers that weigh collectively 12 lbs. Well they will require much less O2 over the course of the day than say 2 limits (you and a partner) of 10 fish total that weigh more on average as well and you have 32 lbs of fish. They also will release a lot more nitrogen into the water. This is why changing water out completely is very important.

If I'm fishing the main lake, I will pump fresh water in every hour and replace my release agent when the water turns clear. And if the water is especially warm, I will also use ice on occassion to cool the temps down and slow the fish's metabolism.

Hope that helped. It's harder to explain in type than it is in a boat.

I run a 929 which has the same system as your 901. You have seperate controls for both the passenger and driver livewells. The pump controls are set up like they are on the dash, left controls to pass. and right controls to driver. The valve controls are top for driver and bottom for pass.

Now here's how I run mine-

I start out the day with both top valves (fill/empty) on fill. When I get that first keeper:), I make sure the valve for that livewell is on fill and turn the left pump switch for that livewell on manual (press down). When that livewell gets full (water level with the smaller opening), I shut off the pump switch that is on (middle position) and turn on the right pump switch for that livewell on auto (press up). Also move the bottom valve control for that livewell (recirc./pumpout) to the recirc. position. If the first fish is a big one (over 4#) or when I catch my second keeper:D, I move the right pump switch to manual (press down). The same procedure for the passenger livewell. This allows the livewells to recirculate water all day long. At the end of the day I switch the bottom valve control to pumpout to fill my weigh in bag, and then turn the pumps off and move the top valve control to empty to allow the livewell to drain.

Forgot to add - If it is a hot day - water temps over 75 degrees or large limit in the livewell, I will change out the water about noon. To do this, turn the left pump switch on manual (press down) and move the bottom valve control to pumpout. This will allow fresh water to come in while you pump out old water out of the livewell. I let it run like this for ten minutes or so.

Always remeber to use an additive to the water (please release me/rejuvanade).

Click on "Links" on the left menu.

Under Livewells, click on the "Flow-Rite" link.

It will take you to their homepage where you can see all the valves and their operation!

RoyC

Back